BNO renewal with RTL status..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BNO renewal with RTL status..

HI all..

I am a non chinese, currenlty studying in Canada and am travelling in British National (Overseas) passport. I got the passport in year 2000 when I had a right of aboade (ROA) status in HOng KOng. I haven't been to Hong KOng in like 4 yeras and found out that I will loose my ROA status to RTL. Just a question, was wondering if I could renew the BNO passport in year 2010 with RTL status.?
    THank you advance.
    Neill

I don't see how there could be any relationship between your HK Immigration status and your ability to renew a British Passport.

But on the other hand I are really quite surprised that you claim to have a BNO passport issued in 2000. My understanding was that BNOs were only (first) issued during a period in the mid-90s when HK was still a British colony.

HI berryplucker...

Well I was leaving in Hong Kong till 2000 and had a Right of Abode status . Therefore I was eligible for the BNO passport.
    My only concern is that i was look at the form provided British Consulate for renewing the passport and one of the requirement is the permanent ID with Right of Abode status.

Neill

HI berryplucker...

Well I was leaving in Hong Kong till 2000 and had a Right of Abode status . Therefore I was eligible for the BNO passport.
    My only concern is that when i was looking at the form provided British Consulate for renewing the passport and one of the requirement is the permanent ID with Right of Abode status.

Neill

So the FAQ here:
    http://www.britishconsulate.org.hk/e...rt/bno_faq.htm
    that says that all BN(O) applications had to be completed by 1 July 1997 is wrong?

Moreover, the form here: http://www.britishconsulate.org.hk/c...m/BNOFormA.pdf
    says that you must have a "Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card". My expectation would be that this would include bothe ROA and RTL cards.

HI there.
    Thanks for your link.
    1) Regrding the passport I did have the underage (I believe under 16-18) passport before 1997 and I just renewed the to adult one on year 2000. Yeah you are right that one should have had applied one before July 1997.

2) Regadring the RTL status I went to this link
    http://www.britainincanada.org/Passport/bno.htm
    BNO-A notes (page1)

Under Note 14 it states that:
    The holder of this passport has Hong Kong
    permanent identity card no. .........................
    which states that the holder has the right of
    abode
    in Hong Kong.

But the link provided just states the Hong Kong Permanent ID.
    Confusing?
    I will check on with the immigration too.
    Thanks for your help, Appreciated.

I have a question which may be unrelated.

If you cant renew your BNO passport because you are no longer have ROA.
    does that leave you country less.

What i mean is what would the nationality become if you could not renew the passport.

well I can still enter hong kong I guess with ID and RTL status just without a travel document if they don't renew it.. Which doesn't make sense at all..
    dunno.. I have enquired the immigration and waiting for their reply. Will post thier response here.
    Neill

HI everyone.

Finally got a reply from the immigration officer from the British Consulate. Yes, as
    berryplucker indicated, one with the "Right to Land" will have entitled to renew the BNO passport. Just that one has to fill up the "application form for assement of residential status in Hong Kong" which can be obtained form the British consultes.
    THank to all for your insights..
    Cheers

Gbaby, why should you fill up "application form for assesment of residential status in Hong Kong" if it already clear you have RTL status? I hope you understand what Im trying to say.

I wonder if there are cases where BNO passport renewal is denied just because of RTL status.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast