international money transfer

Closed Thread

international money transfer

Does anyone know what's the best way to transfer money from a HK bank to a US checking account? I have a Bank of America checking account here in the US to take care of my loan and credit card payments, but probably need to make some deposit from time to time when I'm in Hong Kong. Some people told me I should get a HSBC or Citibank account because they have more branches in HK, but my BOA account has been connected with all of my credit card accounts and it would be inconvenient to transfer them all to another account. Any advice?

HSBC Online lets you send money to any bank account in the world, although thanks to the recent spoofing activities they now require such accounts to be pre-registered. Tariffs are here:
    http://www.hsbc.com.hk/hk/personal/f...l/p018_eng.pdf

I use HSBC and once the accounts are set up, it is a breeze. However, if you elect to pay transfer charges and recipient charges yourself, be sure to find out whether the receiving bank has complied...I have found that I have paid at both ends.

See if BOA (HK) offers a better rate for transfers. You can then setup two accounts -- HSBC for regular usage and the BOA for transfers.

Easy Peasy.