Like Tree8Likes

Landlord Issues

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Landlord Issues

Hi guys.... i need some advise/opinion....
    We've given our notice to the landlord. They're sitting on our deposit.
    Last night the landlord came to inspect the house with a contractor.... Everything seemed ok until suddenly the Contractor pointed out there is huge amount of water leakage from the toilet going into the living room and now the whole floors have to be change and now the landlord is trying to claim this from me.....

What i want to know is .....
    - could this be true or the landlord is just trying to pin this on me? I can understand if any damage on the walls - which i should be responsible for.....
    - even if it is true .... should i be responsible to change the entire living room flooring? or just whatever the so called damaged part (if it is) ......
    - how do i go about solving this issue??? because they're holding my deposit.....
    - Or this could be an issue from way before due to contractor didnt do a good job ..... and now he is trying to cover his ass by trying to blame it on me???

Please advise whats the best way to go about this....

Didn't you turn off the water from the toilet to stop it going into the living room?

With wooden floors, even if only part of it is damaged, the whole floor often needs replacing.

I think you might have a problem.

the water they say is going under..... i find it hard to blv...... its not from the toilet but from the shower

Do you have photographs from when you moved in?

Does the floor show any visible damage in those photos? What about now? Visible damage?

Might be a tough one to prove...

floor shows nothing ......... at the time we moved in - didn't note much - here is an image - its just the contractors words that there is water beneath......

you might also want to bring in the building management

So, let me get this straight.

Your flat looks fine and there is no obvious signs of anything wrong.

Your landlord came around with a contractor who noticed a problem that was invisible to the naked eye and (it would seem) caused by something structural in the building/apartment and NOT by anything YOU actually did.

He's now blaming you for it and trying to keep your deposit, even though the landlord is typically responsible for structural issues under the lease.

Is this right? Because if so, I suggest you use the logical arguments embedded in my description of the problem above to help highlight that this is not something you should be paying for!

And if this does not work, try here: http://www.judiciary.gov.hk/en/crt_s...lt/html/sc.htm

bibbju likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ddiinnoo:
    .... >> its just the contractors words that there is water beneath......
    Err... Is the contractor trying to wiggle some "extra" job revenue for himself ?
    Is this contractor licensed?
    Get the building's management office involved and /or ask the landlord to get a different contractor to look at it.

If the water "leakage" is that severe, then you neighbor BELOW would have made complaints.

Was their a complaint from the flat below you of water leakage?

Ask the building management.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInHK:
    Err... Is the contractor trying to wiggle some "extra" job revenue for himself ?
    Is this contractor licensed?
    Get the building's management office involved and /or ask the landlord to get a different contractor to look at it.

If the water "leakage" is that severe, then you neighbor BELOW would have made complaints.
    Contractor might be landlords mate.

Get a second opinion and in writing to show to the landlord.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast