Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

HSBC money disappear and reappear

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE
    PDLM well since the info only covers the last 10days just can see two of the descriptions of the 10-20 times this has happened.

When they took back the 5500 last time that they added, and sadly didn't let me keep it said: NET BACK ITEMS

And when they paid back my money they removed it said: REMIT.

And my currency is in HKD.

I get the NET BACK ITEMS thing on my transaction records aswell...it seems to be an accumlated total of the amount I have spent over a few weeks though, not really paid too much attention to it as the bottom line always adds up (unfortunately not to a lot!)...

Quote Originally Posted by HKLozzo
    I had this happen to me on my Barclays UK account a few years ago. I happened to be doing a few transactions in the early hours and i noticed that several thousand pounds was suddenly not showing up via the online banking page. I telephoned the 24hr helpline and was told by a very nice lady ( clearly not expecting anyone to be calling at about 2am..ha ha) that it is quite normal. Sometimes they make a transaction and then remove it in order to 'test' accounts for security/validity or something like that. She also explained that they usually do it during the night as they don't expect people to be accessing their accounts during that time. Hence, normally you never notice it happening.

Having said that, i would agree that if you see money appearing and disappearing on your account frequently, it does look suspicious, the bank should have a fraud department who can investigate the who,how,where and why.

Yes, that is what they told me as well. Though in my cases the transactions did not actually appear on the statement.

Does anyone else find that HSBC's online statement doesn't work? It claims that you can view your statement between any two dates, but just won't do it? I can only view the past few days.

Banned

They don't store the online data back very far, which is extremely annoying. You can see it between two dates, but only, basically, if those dates are since your last statement! This is something I have complained to them about, but only got a generic "thanks for your comments" response.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga
    Does anyone else find that HSBC's online statement doesn't work? It claims that you can view your statement between any two dates, but just won't do it? I can only view the past few days.
    yep very annoying...and I'm crap at remembering to update my passbook, which will also only update a few weeks, so often have huge voids of time with no records...

Banned

Passbook? They still have them here? Why?

Resident Peacekeeper

PDLM There are a LOT of people who are old or generally do not trust online systems. The banks in Aberdeen have long queues with people waiting to get there passbooks updated.

As far as the original post goes... I would go to the central or nearest HDSBC which is large and ask them. quicker than dealing with their hotline. also the online email system in the internet banking system usually gets you an accurate response.

Banned

Well OK, but even pre-online I never had a passbook. I just got a monthly statement. What is the purpose of a passbook?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Well OK, but even pre-online I never had a passbook. I just got a monthly statement. What is the purpose of a passbook?
    I have a passbook as well as an online account. I thought that was the same for everyone! Perhaps it's a hangover from pre-plastic days. I think only smartvantage and above get monthly statements in the post.

Passbooks also contain a specimen signature and a magnetic strip with account details. Banks now seem reluctant to fully update passbooks, as transactions older than a few weeks just get the "Net back items" treatment. There's no way you can get decent statements! Arrggg! My Lloyds TSB online statements go back years.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    I have watched people with their passbooks which they treat like money, flicking through the pages like a wad of cash. People love them, although the banks probably want rid of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast