US Citizen---How to get HK Citizenship

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Citizen---How to get HK Citizenship

Hi fellas, I'm a naturalized US citizen and was born in Guangzhou. I am wondering what does it take for me to be an HK Citizen? What are my options? If i marry someone from HK, would I lose my US Citizenship? I have no clue. For instance, can I still be back in the states for an unlimited amount of time and also in HK for an umlimited amount of time as well (if I was to be married to someone in HK). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Why do you need a HK Citizenship i.e. Passport? A work visa is usually enough for most people.

Oops.. accidentally hit the post button a bit too quickly.

-- US does not allow for dual citizenship. You would have to give up your US passport.

-- It is fairly easy to get an HK investment or work visa. Not trivial but easy compared to the US.

-- You do not loose US citizenship by marrying someone.. you loose it be renouncing it and getting another countries citizenship.

-- If you marry someone in HK who is a permanent resident they can take you on as a dependant and get your a dependant visa / ID card which is enough to allow you to work.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    -- US does not allow for dual citizenship. You would have to give up your US passport.
    Not sure about that. If there is a US law against it, it doesn't seem it's being enforced. For discussion of this, check out http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ and http://travel.state.gov/loss.html .

I confess I haven't had time to do any more than glance through these, but it appears the US won't make you give it up, unless you actively seek out renunciation. Not a subject close to my heart, but knowing of so many dual US+other citizens (Taiwan, Canada, UK) who think nothing of being open about it, above remark got me wondering (and googling).

Um - there is no such thing as Hong Kong citizenship. If you stay here for seven years legitimately and can declare Hong KOng your intended home and can prove it you can apply for permanent residency which is as much as HOng KOng has to offer you. We will save the discussion about the 3 stars for another time.

Now you could do what Mike Rowse did and get CHinese Citizenship (which is what Hong Kong CHinese are in fact) but there would be little point for most people.

Before that you need a valid visa - either working, dependant or investment. Hold and renew for seven years (without a break in residency) and then you are eligable.

That is assuming they have not changed the rules by the time you were planning on replying

Guys thanks for all the headsup info! All in all perhaps I will just marry someone there. But my entire family is in US. I don't plan on working for anyone, I would be simply considered unemployed, just as now as I work off home. About that 7 year thing, I don't think I'm elegible for that since the HK immigration would only allow tourists like me to stay there for 92 days I believe, but I plan on going to Macau everytime those days are up. Any other tip? I would also like to travel to Thailand and Taiwan as well.

Thanks fellas,
    Buddy

You have to give up your American citizenship before the SAR will naturalise you. Also even if you give up American nationality if you have a lot of assets or make over 3 figures in a year, the States will make you prove that you are not becoming a foreign national to avoid taxes on your worldwide income.

I like Hong Kong's lifestyle compared to the states. I am considered unemployed here. And over there, when I am there. I know I know, I am going reversed, but this is how I would prefer my lifestyle. I would like to live in US for half a year and HK for the other half. Now I'm getting confused, one person says I don't have to give it up and one says I do? I guess I'll worry about it when I find an opportunity for marriage. Thanks!

Buddy

I just saw Shri's posted message and would like to comment on his options stated:

-- If you marry someone in HK who is a permanent resident they can take you on as a dependant and get your a dependant visa / ID card which is enough to allow you to work.

Would that allow me to stay in HK for an unlimited time and vice versa in US? Once again, I do not plan on or intend to work for anyone while I am in HK. I am self employed.

Thanks again,
    Buddy

Just so you know, it is ILLEGAL to get married just for a visa both the US and HK. You could go to jail, but that's your life Buddy.

Oh, as for becoming a Chinese SAR national. Well the SAR government does require a document stating that you have given up your present nationality. Which means, since you are naturalized U.S. citizen you would then lose it. Only those who were not naturalized have a chance to resume their nationality in the USA. American nationality based upon birth and parentage is pretty secure, however, a naturalized citizen can lose it for several reasons, on of which is obtaining a foreign nationality.

If you don't believe me contact the US State Department of the US Consulate in HK.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast