Should I bring my white goods to Hong Kong?

Closed Thread

Should I bring my white goods to Hong Kong?

My company is paying for moving all my furniture to Hong Kong. Do you think I should I bring my washing machine, fridge, tv and other electrical applicances with me? (All are purchesed in Australia)

I would perfer to bring them, as if I dont bring them then I will have to pay to store them in Australia. It seems that a lot of the apartments I have been looking at on the internet have fridge and washing machine included.

If I see an apartment that I like which already has these things can I request the landlord take them away?

Thanks

Better to leave them back home to be honest, Theres the risk of them getting damaged in transit etc.

Flats will pretty much always come with a fridge and washing machine anyway.

If you request the landlord to take away the existing ones then he may refuse as the ones he has are probably perfectly serviceable and he'll have to trash it or sell it cheap, And when you move out he'll have to buy new white goods and he'll lose money.

also flats are much smaller in HK and you may find that your electrical items might be too big.

rani

I remember looking at fridges one day at Fortress just for the heck of it and noted that even the biggest fridge they carried was not quite on par with an average fridge back home. Same was the case for washing machines.

Agree with all the repiles here.

short answer - NO

you wont be able to fit them in the units, most units have front load washers built in, fridges etc are tiny and squeezed in etc.

re storage in Oz, if ur company is not paying, it not worth storing stuff apart from stuff that means anything to you (eg wedding silver, books, clothes, keep-sakes etc). the cost of storage if it is over 12 months approaches the cost of replacing stuff... and really, fridges and stuff should be sold, as they will deteriorate in long term storage

i'd recommend selling your stuff if you think you will be away for 12 months or more. if you're not sure, store some stuff temporarily, but sell it once you know you're going to be away for a bit. things like sound systems and TV's etc, if you're addicted to the ones you have, bring them (work is paying), but pretty much everything is available in HK (often much cheaper).

no landlord will take stuff out of the units. they have nowhere to put it, as they dont have spare room either. sadly, unlike Oz, space is a real premium.

congrats on move to HK, hope you're set to have a cool time

If you are renting out your place in Oz - cant you leave them in your house and charge for a semi-furnished place?

Red face Agree !!

Yes, no need to bring any electr. goods here since they are cheap in HK. Save the transportation cost, you can buy all brand new here and the size may also fit your new place.