Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

How to get married in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by ucheeva
    Hi,
    Got married in a registry office myself 6 weeks ago. If you want to get married sooner than 3 months you need to go to the registry office itself. We went down to Births Deaths and Marriages 3 times before we got in to make a booking. All these places have quotas.

We finally got our appointment, though it a was really frustrating and annoying experience, to give notice we arrived at the Queensway offices at 3am only to find, yet again, mainlanders sleeping there and taking all the quota spaces. They are an organised group. Depending on the quota, they arrange for that amount of people to go and sleep there. If you want one of their spaces you have to pay them. After being there 3 nights we finally caved and paid a guy $200 for his spot. We met a guy who had been down there every morning from 4am for 7 nights and still couldn't get a spot.

It is really frustrating, the police came but didn't do anything to move these people on so there really was no other way for us to get a spot other than to pay them!!!!!

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.
    Is this true? If so, why don't people complain to the right government department.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16
    Is this true? If so, why don't people complain to the right government department.
    It was true 3 years ago when they posted it but it is no longer true.

you no longer need to line up, it can all be done online.

::: ESDlife Wedding:::

My husband and I live in Australia and got married in Hong Kong (eloped) 3 years ago. We found out all the info online, and then wrote away for the forms to fill out etc. We arrived the day before our wedding appointment and went into the Births, Deaths and Marriages to make a declaration of no impediment to marriage. It was all pretty easy but we were organising it months before, but we did it all ourselves.

NEED HELP ON SOME INFORMATION HOW TO GET MARRIED IN HK

Hi,

My fiance and i are planing to get married in HK this year. But we don't have any idea on how to go about it. basically, we're both filipino and 1 concern is that my annulment in philippines is on the process. not sure when it will be settled but the lawyer said its fast approaching.

We don't wanna waste our time together waiting for that thing to kick off that's why we decide to get married in HK and will probably do it in philippines again once everything is settled.

I hope anyone can give advice what to do first or any documents that we need to have prior to the wedding.

we dont really need a big celebration, we just wanna have solemn ceremony for us to be married. i hope anyone can give advice on this.

appreciate it so much..

thanks very much.

Banned

You can't legally get married anywhere in the world whilst you are married to someone else. Until the annulment comes through you would be committing a criminal offence.

Question Certificate of No Impediment - is it required?

Just found this thread whilst having a panic about my wedding in April so thought I'd see if anyone can help ease my worries.

I'm a UK citizen living and working in HK with non-permanent ID card/working visa, my future husband is UK citizen currently living in UK but is visiting HK at the moment until end of next week.

The panic is this - I am using An Oath civil celebrant service and after filling in our details for the notice of intended marriage on their online system, it gave me a list of documents that we needed to bring when we go in to sign the notice. The usual passport/HKID stuff is fine but for him they asked for certificate/proof of marital status. I was planning for us to go in to sign the notice this week before he goes back to make sure we have it in time for the wedding.

I hadn't seen this requirement anywhere before (having checked the HK Immigration Dept website when we decided to embark on this last summer) and am now in a panic as, though he is definitely single, we do not have this document. In order to get it from what I can gather he would need to submit a request to his local Register Office in UK when he gets back and then wait 21 days for it to be issued.

I've trawled the old posts in the forum and can't find anything recent or definitive enough so to try to stop me staying awake all night worrying tonight I wondered if anyone knows if this is actually compulsory?

Obviously I'll be phoning the relevant people in the morning in a panic but would appreciate any info anyone has in the mean time - thanks!

Banned

I've never heard of any requirement for a certificate on no impediment to get married in HK assuming that both parties are over 21 and have never previously been married; it certainly wasn't required when I (a HK PR) married a non-resident Filipino. In fact that's one of the reasons that people come here to get married from Taiwan and other places where they have such a requirement.
    Last edited by PDLM; 31-01-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Banned

Ignore the above response. No such certificate is required provided that you have never been married and are over 21.

You can see from the British Consulate website that they offer CNI service for marriages outside HK, but that it is (by omission) not required in HK.

Moreover, it is impossible to prove that one is single unless you poll every marriage registry in the world - no UK Government entity has any record that I am married, for example, so I could quite happily get a "Certificate of No Impediment" from the UK Government which would be utterly wrong.
    Last edited by PDLM; 31-01-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks PDLM I was hoping you would be around to see my post - you normally know what's what

We are both (sadly) over 21 and neither of us have been married previously.

How long ago did you get married and did you use a civil celebrant or one of the registry offices?
    Last edited by LoopyLou; 31-01-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast