Like Tree4Likes

How to get married in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

When I got maried on the mainland we had a small civil one at the registry office even though it just giving documents and signing a registry and not a ceremony. Not sure about HK.

We then had a reception 2 years later....I suggest not taking as longas we did.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

similar question on marriage registrations and dependent visa's

Hello,

My fiance is a Hong Kong permanent resident and I am an American citizen who has been working here for almost two years. We are planning to get married in HK at the end of next year, but I believe we should register our marriage a little bit earlier. I was wondering about the whole process and about whether or not we need to have the wedding registered first before applying for a dependent visa for myself. Thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica H. Park:
    Hello,

My fiance is a Hong Kong permanent resident and I am an American citizen who has been working here for almost two years. We are planning to get married in HK at the end of next year, but I believe we should register our marriage a little bit earlier. I was wondering about the whole process and about whether or not we need to have the wedding registered first before applying for a dependent visa for myself. Thanks in advance!!
    I think you need to be married before applying, but someone correct me if Iam wrong.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica H. Park:
    Hello,

Technically I guess you can apply for a dependent visa prior to issuance of the marriage certificate. However, ImmD won't start to process your application until it has all the required documents, including your marriage certificate. You won't save any time at all by applying before marriage, and it could delay the process.

Original Post Deleted
    Were you applying for the employment and dependent visas at the same time? That might have made a difference.

Original Post Deleted
    From an immigration dept view it is probably a positive. A couple applying to come to HK to work, pretty straightforward as long as the employment is fine. Someone already here getting married, is the marriage genuine or just to stay here?

We were certainly told to apply the day after the marriage.
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

Hi,
    I’m a foreigner and I have the following case related to getting married in HK:

1. Can I receive a dependent visa if I marry in Hong Kong with a foreigner who holds a Hong Kong Identity card (with an employment V visa, she is not a resident)?
    If yes, how long does it take to receive the dependent visa?

2. If we marry, does it mean that my girlfriend will need to change her family name on her passport ?

3. If she is employed, does it mean that she has to change her marriage status within the company?

Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Juancho:
    Hi,
    I’m a foreigner and I have the following case related to getting married in HK:

1. Can I receive a dependent visa if I marry in Hong Kong with a foreigner who holds a Hong Kong Identity card (with an employment V visa, she is not a resident)?
    If yes, how long does it take to receive the dependent visa?

2. If we marry, does it mean that my girlfriend will need to change her family name on her passport ?

3. If she is employed, does it mean that she has to change her marriage status within the company?

Thanks for any help!
    1. Yes. They used to quote 4-6 weeks assuming you have all the documents and depending on nationalities. Depends if they question the genuineness of the relationship.

2 and 3. Up to her I would guess.
    Juancho likes this.

Thank you Hullexile!

Really great news for me to a least know there's a possibility for us to be together.
    Roughly, do you know what documents are needed?

Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Juancho:
    Thank you Hullexile!

Really great news for me to a least know there's a possibility for us to be together.
    Roughly, do you know what documents are needed?

Best!
    Where are you both from?
    She will need to able to support you on her salary (contract, bank statements)
    You may need to show the relationship is long term and genuine (letters, photos, etc)