Drivers Licence

Closed Thread

The Peak / Czech Republic/ 36,000 ft in the air

Drivers Licence

Not exactly regarding Hong Kong really but I'm hoping someone can shed some light none the less.

Well, I have a fully qualified HK Motorcycle licence (no P plate or other restrictions) and I'll be moving to the Netherlands quite soon. My question is, would it be possible to change it to any (not necessarily NL) EU drivers licence?

I've heard its quite impossible to change a HK licence to a dutch one...and someone wishing to drive there would need to pass the local test, which is all good and fine when it comes to driving cars (as the actual test is in dutch but you can hire a translator) but for a motorcycle, I doubt they will let you take a translator as a pillion on your test....

Also, my UK residence permit is still valid, so would it be possible for me to change my HK licence to a UK one, even though I don't have a permanent address anymore (Was hoping to use my friends address as a proof of residence) while I go back there to ship my things & then changing that to a Dutch one ASAP?

u gonna get more luck with the UK license in Netherlands - in fact I believe its valid as is

I believe so too, since its a EU Drivers licence, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have a address let alone a house in the UK anymore. And since I have to give a address proof to the DVLA for the licence, I will have to stay at a friend of mine for 2 weeks and somehow convince Lloyds TSB to send a statement stating that address. So I can use it in the application.... I doubt that is strictly legal though.

ahh now I see! and I looked into it, unfortunately after (2002 i think?) the HK license doesnt qualify for exchange anymore.... you can use the intenational version of it and drive for a year - but then you have to take your test again,,, ( in english tho! )

Ahh that's a pity Again, my UK residence visa expires in January 2012, and since I am moving to Amsterdam. I guess I have to get the Dutch licence.... there goes 2500 Euros and a tonne of time time. Although I did hear that they allow you to drive around for 120 days using your own countries licence (I can't use a IDP since I won't be going to Holland to "visit" but to "live there" so says the Dutch Government website)