Like Tree2Likes

Helper employment service

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Helper employment service

Helper Processing Service

We are new to the helper hiring process. Is it easy enough to handle on our own or should we hire an agency? We've found a local helper who is finishing her contract and would like to start with her as soon as possible. I understand that she does not have to return home between contracts as long as we agree to send her home in the next year. Is this correct?
    I've had these two agencies recommended to me:
    Emry's http://emrysemploymentagency.com
    and Overseas Employment Centre, ltd.Has anyone used either of these agencies and are there any opinions on the quality of their services?
    Thanks.

I believe that it is fairly straightforward to do the paperwork yourself, but I haven't personally done it, so perhaps someone else can advise on this.

If the helper is finishing her contract, then, as you say, she would not normally have to leave HK while her contract with you is processed.

If you do use an agency, then please ask them (and ask your helper) whether they would charge the helper a placement fee. Under HK law, a HK agency is not allowed to charge the helper more than 10% of the first month's salary (and this is not payable until after that first month's salary has been received). In the Philippines, it is illegal to charge any placement fee at all (if, indeed, a Philippine agency would need to be involved in this case). I have heard that Emry's do not overcharge helpers, but it would be as well to check!

Hi, I used Emry's for a direct hire and sad to say it was a very disappointing experience. I don't know if I was just unlucky to have been assigned an incompetent personnel to handle our case but even when we were following up, no one helped us within the agency. I can say that they were difficult to talk to, to a point of being rude and unprofessional. Plus, we were surprised with subsequent charges midstream. We were not informed of life insurance, additional cost of air fare, etc. They also were unable to follow the promised time line that they gave us. They said it would only take 4-6 weeks but it reached 11 weeks (my husband even helped speed it up by calling immigration). The complete papers were sitting with them for 10 days, which they submitted to the Phil consulate then immigration only after I followed up.

When we were complaining about their bad service, they said the lady handling our case already resigned - how convenient.

But of course, maybe you'll be lucky with them and be treated better. This is just my experience.

Thanks for the feedback. Our helper has used Overseas Employment Services before so maybe we will try them. It sounds like I should stay away from Emry's. Overseas Employment Services said that they will charge her 10%, but we will pay that fee for her. I appreciate the information and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by mom23:
    Thanks for the feedback. Our helper has used Overseas Employment Services before so maybe we will try them. It sounds like I should stay away from Emry's. Overseas Employment Services said that they will charge her 10%, but we will pay that fee for her. I appreciate the information and advice.
    I have used Emry's twice with no problems and in both cases completed within the time they said.

I had an identical experience to peachylin and would NOT recommend Emrys. They also told me 4-6 weeks and it took 10. It was my Filipina maid who I brought from Singapore and she was stuck in the Philippines for all that time. There was also another charge, after the initial package, which they called "insurance" of over $1000.

The process is fairly simple. You don't need an agency. Pick up the pack from Immigration.
    Sign all the contracts and collect all the supporting documents needed. You can apply 1-month before the helper's contract ends.

The consulate needs to verify all the documents first. The consulate is open on Sundays. The helper can drop this off 1 Sunday and pick it up the following Sunday.

After you pick up from the Consulate take everything to Immigration. You can also drop this in the box at immigration or you can make an appt online and do it in person. Only the employer and helper can submit the application in person. If your spouse does it, you need a letter from your partner authorizing her/him

same case

Here is my situation, I need to hire a helper which to take care of my kids, because they already here in HK to take up their studies. We choose EMRYs Employment Agency to take care of our application and to ease our burden for our chosen helper (We gave our documents last 1 JULY 2011).

Since one of the basic requirement is MEDICAL CLEARANCE (Philippines) we have no choice but to follow their instruction. She undergo all medical procedure/requirements but until now (more than a month) the helper have not yet received the so called MEDICAL CLEARANCE (FIT TO WORK) from their agency and not yet even file our Helper’s application to Philippines Consulate or HK Immigration. We follow their instruction from the start but they always insist THAT she need to go to medical clearance, even though we want to sign a waiver.
    Also, as per my understanding and informed them that The HK Government policies (Part XII of the Employment Ordinance) contradicts with their company policy as stated in their receipt (see attach) that the helper will be the one who will shoulder other medical expenses such as her ultrasound showing negative results (but on their Physical Examination she has a bilateral cysts), eyeglasses, tooth extraction etc. which all of this directly cost her about Php 25,000 ($4,700 approximate) to fulfill her medical requirement. We also mention in our previous email that we are willing to have her medical examination here in HK(as their findings she has a bilateral cyst). But instead they want me to sign a waiver to clear Emrys and All pro staffing (I don't know WHY?).
    As the result of these (me, my family and my helper) having many difficulties, frustration in transacting with that agency. We are mentally tortured that AFFECTS my working efficiency. Which I’m always asking WHY?, what’s the problem and what went wrong? May be, it is because she did not choose their accredited Medical Clinic that from the start they didn’t inform her to go on your affiliated clinics. As the result they didn’t gain profits from her medical examination that’s why they don’t want to give her a FIT TO WORK Status? Also, we force to cancel her application due to her medical clearance FIT TO WORK status, because we know they have no plan to gave her medical clearance.

Do you think that I can file a case against employment agency since their policy is contradict with the HK Labor Ordinance? Because in my mind their policy is the can manipulate everybody who want to seek for a job here in HK and it root of corruption, since they always insist that the helper is the one who shoulder extra expenses.

Hope I can hear from your good office regarding my situation.

Emrys Information:

Agency : Emry's Employment Agency
    Address : Shop 355, 3/F World Wide Plaza
    19 Des Voeux Road, Central,
    Hong Kong
    Fax : 25459155
    Tel: 28156060 , 28154114

@ RANI-- I guess it is not simple as you said, if you need to hire a Filipina FDH (Direct Hire).. they need to go to an agency to process their paper. That was the ordinace of Phil Consulate. Honestly it is happen to us....

Also I would not recommend EMRys to process your direct hire paper.. they will hold it and alway told you that there is a problem with your HELPER according to her medical clearance.

I am pretty sure the medical check is a Philippine gov't requirement. Should only take a day or so, though they (in the Philippines) have a scam where they fail the first time and so you have to pay for a second one. There is another check on the morning they fly to ensure they are not pregnant.

Just because they say the helper should pay does not mean you can not. I am not sure Emry's are doing anything wrong (but not sure they are not).

What does the helper say about what is going on? It would be easy for them to contact the medical clinic.

Last edited by hullexile; 11-08-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast