Like Tree18Likes

Hong Kong vs Singapore Living

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Hong Kong vs Singapore Living

Having lived in both Hong Kong and Singapore (and since those two cities are frequent object of comparison), here is my unique (and totally biased and over-generalized) take on living in both cities:

1. Singapore has better urban planning than HK in terms of more open green space, but those green space is more of an aritficial and manicured creations. Whereas in Hong Kong, while urban spaces are more cramped and concrete over, there is a more real sense of "wildness" in our country parks (which we have more than in Singapore) You can enjoy hiking in Hong Kong more than in Singapore.

2. Singaporeans tend to be more polite and friendly than Hong Kongers , but Singaporeans also tend to be more inflexible and rigid in their thinking than Hong Kongers. HK folks tend to be more rude, but also more "street-wise" and more entrepreneurial. There are exceptions of course, but those are general observations.

3. And less subjectively, (and also very ironically), you enjoy more real freedoms in Hong kong (which is not a democracy) than in Singapore (which technically is a democracy...in theory), where the government is very much a parental overlord.

4. No question about it, Singapore has less pollution than Hong Kong. Except when you have those Indonesian wildfires blowing over...

5. Hong Kong is bigger geographically and demographically than Singapore, which means there are more things to see and do...or is there?

6. HK summers can be unbearably hot and humid, but it's not year-round hot like tropical Singapore. Since HK is more subtropical/temperate than Singapore, winters here can be pleasant, temperature-wise.

But the above are only my personal take, how do you see the comparison between Hong Kong and Singapore?

Last edited by Watercooler; 21-07-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    Morrison, Satay Sue and Laksa Girl like this.

6. The girls are slightly taller in HK

7. What about taxation?
    In particular capital income tax ?

8. From HK it's a little faster back home, unless you are from AU/NZ

Much prefer HK over Singapore, though it was probably more fun for Mini-S! Agree with most of your points. I found the constant "isn't it great here" from Singaporeans very annoying.
    Only one or two things were better - e.g we had a 2500sq ft apartment for half the price we are paying here for a 1450. I'll see if I can think of another.

Mr SS and I just call it Singabore.....

Edit: Morrison, taxes are a bit less than here I think....

Last edited by Satay Sue; 21-07-2011 at 05:05 PM.
    Char Siu King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Much prefer HK over Singapore, though it was probably more fun for Mini-S! Agree with most of your points. I found the constant "isn't it great here" from Singaporeans very annoying.
    Only one or two things were better - e.g we had a 2500sq ft apartment for half the price we are paying here for a 1450. I'll see if I can think of another.

Mr SS and I just call it Singabore.....

Edit: Morrison, taxes are a bit less than here I think....
    I agree on Singapore being a bit boring. I mean, the city is nice and well-ordered, but after a while, things get a bit dull. In contrast, I never get dull in Hong Kong, although that may not necessarily be such a good thing, haha...

Singapore.... just like disneyland.......when it's closed

HK, I'm learning new things and places in this city almost everyday, and HK is easier in terms of public transport to get around - yes, Singapore is cleaner but the summers, espc the humidity as you are practically right on the equator, are suffocating.

I can't judge people in either country - you get polite and rude, entreprenurial and 'sit on your ar** and scratch it ' types all over the world.

Yes, Singapore is cleaner and I prefer their street food to HK's but HK is way more interesting.

But then again, anything with 'a bit of dirt' here and there, is..

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I agree on Singapore being a bit boring. I mean, the city is nice and well-ordered, but after a while, things get a bit dull. In contrast, I never get dull in Hong Kong, although that may not necessarily be such a good thing, haha...
    I think for us it was just TOO clean and well-ordered. Kind of sterile, which made the atmosphere the same. I know many people love it there and I do have several expat friends who will be staying there as long as they can. To each their own, it just wasn't for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I think for us it was just TOO clean and well-ordered. Kind of sterile, which made the atmosphere the same. I know many people love it there and I do have several expat friends who will be staying there as long as they can. To each their own, it just wasn't for us.
    Yes, i don't mind living in Singapore for short durations, it's nice there, but like you, I prefer HK given the choice for a long stay.

Oh just thought of another thing which was better there (how could I forget??) - satay!

virago likes this.

any input on other things such as the following:
    cost of living?
    cost of utilities ie electricity, water gas?
    efficiency of public transportation?
    food costs?

i've heard stories that hk provides better and faster service too i.e. if you order from ikea in singapore, it would take ages for them to deliver items. ditto with phone companies.

on the other hand, i do also hear stories that singaporeans really know how to party hard...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast