Like Tree75Likes

Offloading kids to go shopping

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Why would a 6 year old want to own a knife? If they need to use one why just not borrow it? How often does a 6 year old use a knife?

I'm guessing the knife is probably one of those swiss army types that they use for scouts? However at six years old?

A little tip for you, let kids be kids.

Seems like you'd be happy if your kids were born as adults.

I am horrified by his attitude of "someone else will deal with my children" and his apparent willingness to subject his children to unneccesary harm.

Come on Coombsey, you know and I know that if your six year old drank your litre bottle of whisky which you introduced him to last week and then stabbed himself by accident and drunkenly stumbled in front of a car to his grusome and untimely death, you would feel blameworthy. Does it not assist you to admit this if everyone around you blames you too? Even relating this back to the cinema, if you bugger off shopping and your child is molested, it is not the child's fault for not being able to handle the situation, it is your fault for being a bad and irresponsible parent.

Game. Set. Match.

Hullexile : A 6 year old wants a knife because a knife is fun to play with. They've seen daddy do it so they want to try it.
    The kids take their knives on hikes, find sticks and branches and spend hours taking the layers off, shaping them into spears etc etc. It teaches them hand-eye co-ordination and develops their imagination. Not much different than painting, with a bit more edge to it.

Brown_By_Nature : Here is a link for you to explore. I assure you, the products and books presented are not there to amuse adults (see customers who bought section).
    This is a very nice and friendly kid activity:
    Amazon.com: Carving for Kids: An Introduction to Woodcarving (9781933502021): Robin Edward Trudel: Books

I'm sure Mc Gyver's kids enjoyed playing with knives too.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Even relating this back to the cinema, if you bugger off shopping and your child is molested, it is not the child's fault for not being able to handle the situation, it is your fault for being a bad and irresponsible parent.
    Tell me, does this woman belong in a jail:
    Aunt charged in Glouco toddler's drowning | Courier-Post | courierpostonline.com

Are adults responsible for every possible eventuality, however small?

Let me take it to an absurd example : Shall we go and charge parents of the kids who were killed in Norway for letting them go alone to a camp? After all, they should have foreseen some crazed idiot would showup and kill their kids.

Shall we charge the parents of the kid who got killed by a polar bear because they let him go to a dangerous place?

Shall we charge the parents of the kid who died when a drunk driver hit the kids bike because the parents let the kid ride a bike?

Where do you draw the line?

Its not my fault if a molester happens to molest my kid in a friendly theater. If you want to raise your kids with such a guilt complex around your shoulders, you go right ahead but I wont.

Howard, I have never said this before about you but in this case, you are missing the point.

Norway and bear accident resemble your scouts scenario. You are paying someone else to supervise your children.

Aunt - yes, absolutely. If she accepted responsibility of the wellbeing of the child and failed, then she ought to be charged. It is clear that she felt very guilty. That is normal.

Kid-friendly theatre is premised by the idea that the kid's parent will supervise them. Kid-friendly theatre does not mean dump your kids there "and hope that either nothing happens to them or that if something does, they can deal with it - either way, no skin off my nose". It sounds like awful parenting. If you want to go shopping, hire a babysitter to sit with them.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Howard, I have never said this before about you but in this case, you are missing the point.

Norway and bear accident resemble your scouts scenario. You are paying someone else to supervise your children.

Aunt - yes, absolutely. If she accepted responsibility of the wellbeing of the child and failed, then she ought to be charged. It is clear that she felt very guilty. That is normal.
    No, I'm not; I see your point. We just have a fundamental disagreement and we are never going to see eye-to-eye on this issue.

I know your side of the arguments very well. If you'd like to hear from more ppl on my side of the table, I'd welcome you to read the following:
    Outrage of the Week: Don’t You DARE Throw This Woman in Jail!

And more generally:
    FreeRangeKids
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 17-08-2011 at 12:13 PM.

LC, by your reasoning, these people should be put in jail for neglect :
    Disappearance of Madeleine McCann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Am I correct?

And if that happened to you HC, I take it you would feel no guilt or regret and wouldn't go back to change anything ?