Like Tree35Likes

do you ever say hello, wave, or something to someone new who could be expat / visitor like you ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thumbs up do you ever say hello, wave, or something to someone new who could be expat / visitor like you ?

you know, like a fellow expat who you have never seen before, or a fellow english speaking visitor...

...do you make the first move ?

thanks.

Last edited by m4nn; 19-02-2012 at 08:24 AM.

I quite often say "hi" to white folks in the lift at work or on the resident bus to/from the Gold Coast - particularly if sitting next to them. I always say "hi" to new faces in the marina - but we all talk to each other in the marina, it's one of the nice features of the place.

I gave up as it was so seldom reciprocated. There are foreign women living in our building, with children, who just completely blank me if I say hello or smile at them.

Morrison and Football16 like this.

My countrymen are not very talkative so I gave up on that.

m4nn likes this.

I don't see the need why I should say hello to white people, but not to others? Feels a bit xenophobic if you ask me.

Good point, though I do greet other residents, Chinese, Indian etc and I normally get a reply. It seems just the snotty Brits who are too important to reply!

(I am British by the way!)

East_coast likes this.

the same applies to the French guy who lives close by.

however, to his excuse I must say it could be that he has been conditioned, thinking it's just too many people in China / HK wanting to say "hi" to a foreigner to practice English

one thing i learned very quickly living here... just because they are white, it doesn't mean they speak english!

but, everyone in our village talks to each other, so it's not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    one thing i learned very quickly living here... just because they are white, it doesn't mean they speak english!

issue.
    The women I mentioned are definitely British.
    Yes but to not respond when someone smiles at you or says hello to your kid is quite cold isn't it? One woman in particular deliberately turns her head when approaching me - And no I'm not hideously deformed or anything!

i gave up saying hello when out and about after i tried to chat to some "english" looking people (about 12 years ago).... they were from czech republic!

that said, whenever i'm out and about, if i see someone with a guide book or map, i ALWAYS stop to see if they need help. just last week, i stopped at the bus stop in the country park and gave rides to two people to the mtr station.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast