Does Pollution in HK Worry You?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Does Pollution in HK Worry You?

Hong Kong's air pollution reached dangerous levels on Monday, reigniting concerns about public health and fears that the city could lose out on crucial foreign investment due to the thick smog.

Across the southern Chinese territory, the Air Pollution Index on Monday passed the critical 100 mark, the point at which the Environmental Protection Department warns anyone with respiratory or heart problems to stay home.

At the weekend, the index reached 144. The high on Monday was 113.

Will this make you reconsider living here?
    If you have children, will you be worried more?
    What is your position on pollution in HK?

Will this make you reconsider living here?
    - Yes it does. All the money in the world cannot buy back your health.

If you have children, will you be worried more?
    - Absolutely. I've been feeling extremely guilty about subjecting my children to this deplorable environment. Not so easy to pick up and move at this time in their lives though, as they are in secondary school, close to graduation etc... feeling a bit trapped about that.

- Very very concerned, not only for our own health, but the planet as a whole. It angers me that the government isn't responding urgently to what's happening. We're choking here while big businesses continue to line their pockets. I say its time for some major people power. I'm sure there are enough concerned and outraged residents to stage a protest march? Its been effective with other issues in the past.

What worries me more is the complete garbage that was printed about pollution in todays SCMP.

Front page banner headline et al.
    Did Stevie Wonder authorize the copy? Was the editor in chief out of town?

The pollution we get here comes from " out of town " unless of course your working for them. Jeez, I was so gobsmacked and ready to fire off a withering volley to them. However today has been eventful on another level so I am reduced to writing here.

I am not trying to hijack the thread but --- really --- why talk about something that is HKs biggest import as if we could possible do anything practical about it as a minority, even though we are highly vocal?
    Yes we have it home grown as well --- BUT --- even if we only had the tram, MTR / KCR, all the cars where Prius or electric, energy saving lightbulbs, wind turbines , solar panels et al, you would still have the " brown cloud of death ".

BUT -- according to the SCMP it couldn't possibly come from Guangdong . So it must be secret fleets of ships discharging smog from San Franciso !!

Remember you didn't here it first. The SCMP got the scoop this morning and you should all relocate to the the New Territories. The weather is fab and clear here.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinhk:

- Very very concerned, not only for our own health, but the planet as a whole. It angers me that the government isn't responding urgently to what's happening. We're choking here while big businesses continue to line their pockets. I say its time for some major people power. I'm sure there are enough concerned and outraged residents to stage a protest march? Its been effective with other issues in the past.
    Umm, I completely dissagree that enough people here will protest, because even if they were successful, it would be at the cost of $$$income to them....Pigs will fly. People here in many cases will put up with very very cramped home living environments, they'll put up with the smog, because that smog, is the result of much profit thats been made....

No, I can see the locals polluting even more than whats already been demonstrated, with little, or no, real world restraint, they'll posture for the camera's and say nothings wrong, until the place is so bad, people will drop dead in the streets... Its going to have to kill a few people first, before the reaction is great enough, for them to do anything about it...

Look at SARS, a handful of people died during that time, let's not forget the gross over reaction by HK people back then.

I absolutely agree with Boris's comment, we could all be the most environmentally proactive city on the planet, and the sky will still be polluted....
    Last edited by Skyhook; 09-10-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Its disgusting

I live in the New Territories and believe me it is not any better here than anywhere else.

I love how they recategorise it as mist, fog or haze when smog is the correct term. On Saturday the HK Obversatory weather said sunny which was true there was sun but it stood no chance of getting through the whitout conditions.

Our health is suffering not so much from the smog but the decision not to go outside because of it.

Incredible that the HK Tourism Board continue to have webcams showing the 'stunning Hk skyline' when most of the time the picture is so bad you would think the camera is broken.

May - September proves it is pollution from China because it is beautiful when the wind blows from the south. Is HK not part of China?

Our HK 'sentence' will be over shortly and we wont be back.

I have already warned half a dozen people off moving here by sending them contrasting pictures of the spectacular view from our apartment. Pity we rarely get to see it. Multiply that out and HK has missed out on alot of talented people.

Quote Originally Posted by larac:
    I live in the New Territories and believe me it is not any better here than anywhere else.

I love how they recategorise it as mist, fog or haze when smog is the correct term. On Saturday the HK Obversatory weather said sunny which was true there was sun but it stood no chance of getting through the whitout conditions.
    I don't believe you because you must live in a different New Territories to me. Saturday was clear and bright. I went for a wonderful walk with a cooling breeze around Plover Cove reservoir.

Also any idiot can tell the difference between a heat haze ( we live in a humid tropical region if you hadn't noticed ) and smog.

Yes we have smog, but the point I clearly made is that it ain't down to what we do and the only way the figures can be made to look good is if " official " organs of the state are allowed to lay out in print their " finding " which are clearly bogus. I take it you didn't read the article today.

On the point of your Whiteout - do you have net curtains? I suspect you may have. So you need to open then to see the blue clear sky that surely was here on Saturday.

What are others comments on the SCMP article? I expected a load of comment.

The other day I was annoyed to find tour buses parked on the side of the road with the engines idling and air conditioners running and no people inside ... one or two of them did have only the bus driver.

Guess what I saw next... a police officer...I pointed out that HK legislation is an engine cannot be running unless someone is in the car ... after he doubled checked using his radio back to the station....he wrote out tickets to the offenders for Vacating Vehicle without stopping engine (Law Cap:374G Reg:44 )

The others he just spoke to as a means of public nuisance.

The air is bad enough coupled with walking down the street to also be subjected to the exhaust fumes of idling engines of unoccupied vehicles is just becoming too much.

I've got an idea ... would love to see post cards printed of traditional Hong Kong views, with cigarette packet like warning labels covering 20% of them ...

"This view may be hazardous to your health"

Alby - Was not aware of the law. Its definitely not something that the cops try and enforce around this town.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    The other day I was annoyed to find tour buses parked on the side of the road with the engines idling and air conditioners running and no people inside ... one or two of them did have only the bus driver.

Guess what I saw next... a police officer...I pointed out that HK legislation is an engine cannot be running unless someone is in the car ... after he doubled checked using his radio back to the station....he wrote out tickets to the offenders for Vacating Vehicle without stopping engine (Law Cap:374G Reg:44 )

The others he just spoke to as a means of public nuisance.

The air is bad enough coupled with walking down the street to also be subjected to the exhaust fumes of idling engines of unoccupied vehicles is just becoming too much.
    good for you for doing something! so many times people get annoyed by these sorts of things, but don't take action.

i've found this on the epd website. i am now keeping a piece of paper in the car and my handbag to jot down offenders and will report them.
    https://epic.epd.gov.hk/ca/uid/smoky_public
    Last edited by canuckinhk; 10-10-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast