View Poll Results: Which of Hong Kong's four major hiking trails offers your favorite views of Hong Kong?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
Like Tree6Likes

Historic Hong Kong Hikes

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Historic Hong Kong Hikes

We have just published an article called Historic Hong Kong Hikes.

Vote for your favorite hiking trail in our poll above or share your own by replying to the thread.

Despite being a global metropolis Hong Kong is renowned for its myriad hiking trails. It's sometimes hard to believe, but Hong Kong as a landmass is comprised of almost 40% country parks. Snaking throughout these natural reserves are plenty of frequented and unfrequented trails and, due in no small part to Hong Kong's geographical restrictions, accessing most of these getaways is not only convenient, it's surprisingly refreshing as well. For this reason some of the better known trails get downright busy in good weather...
    (Read More)
    bookblogger likes this.

We used to hike from Mui Wo to the Frog and Toad, and that was a great hike (thanks to a fat rack of the best ribs i ever tasted in hk).

Anyone know what happened to the good ol' Frog and Toad and the owner, Tequila Joe? I've heard rumors that it's still around somewhere new, but nothing substantiated.

MacLehose wins hands down in my opinion, the early stages you get to see the country side and the great beaches off Sai Kung, then in the middle you get great views of Kowloon Peninsula (especially at night), then you go back into the country side, reach the highest mountain in HK and finally end up in Tuen Mun looking at the Gold Cost. Very nice

katiem84 and suciani like this.

Maclehose all the way.

Here is the official Hong Kong Hiking Drinking Game: Hong Kong Hiking | Hong Wrong Hong Kong Expat Blog

Just to point out that you were a tad late on Trailwalker - entries closed yesterday.

But back to the point ..... I have two favourite trails: Mui Wo to Pak Kung Au over Sunset Peak on the Lantau Trail and Pat Sin Leng on the Wilson Trail (from Hok Tau reservoir to Tai Mei Tuk).

Both are reasonably challenging but offer stunning views and the chance to "get away from it all".

If I had to list my second favorites, I might still be drafting this post tomorrow as there is SO much variety in HK. urban hikes. easy trails you can walk to from HKI MTR stations all the way through to bushwhacking hikes in the NT where you see nothing but trees and wildlife for hours at a time.

So for those who are interested in hiking, there are also numerous groups that organize hikes to get you started.

INcluding Hong Kong Hiking Meetup Group (Hong Kong Hiking Meetup 香港遠足覓合團 (Hong Kong) - Meetup)
    Hong Kong HIkers (Hong Kong Hikers : GroupSpaces)
    The Trampers (www.hktrampers.com
    Saturday Hikers (can't remember their website)

Plenty of opportunities for all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoDerek:
    We used to hike from Mui Wo to the Frog and Toad, and that was a great hike (thanks to a fat rack of the best ribs i ever tasted in hk).

Anyone know what happened to the good ol' Frog and Toad and the owner, Tequila Joe? I've heard rumors that it's still around somewhere new, but nothing substantiated.
    Joe died a few years ago, sadly. His wife Melissa still runs the Garden Cafe (really a bar) on Cheung Chau, which is a great hangout.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:

But back to the point ..... I have two favourite trails: Mui Wo to Pak Kung Au over Sunset Peak on the Lantau Trail and Pat Sin Leng on the Wilson Trail (from Hok Tau reservoir to Tai Mei Tuk).

Both are reasonably challenging but offer stunning views and the chance to "get away from it all".
    Weird, those are my favourites too! Both have that long grass that catches the sun and waves in the wind. I often recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Weird, those are my favourites too! Both have that long grass that catches the sun and waves in the wind. I often recommend them.
    I LOVE that wavy grass!

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Joe died a few years ago, sadly. His wife Melissa still runs the Garden Cafe (really a bar) on Cheung Chau, which is a great hangout.

That is sad to hear. I remember when i was much younger, and smaller he'd put an empty coke can on my head and do some Bruce Lee-esque spinning kick sending it flying... after enjoying half a bottle of tequila.

I'll have to check out the Garden Cafe. Thanks for the update Bookblogger.
    bookblogger likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast