Like Tree96Likes

Questions regarding Yuen Long? I can help

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    We have some old bats on this forum
    I married a bat.

... lizards, geckos, porcupines, wild boars, barking dear...
    Put your hand on the arm of your barking dear and say, "My love, I'm so sorry."

Please can you give some background information about the corner of Ma Miu Road and Castle Peak Road, which looks like an untidy jumble of different things. Some old banyans, and a shrine with incense burning. A brand new government building to do with the arts, some ugly temporary buildings, a nursery garden. Some Nepali eating-places? Can you explain the notice about 'Jungle Parking'? Wasn't this corner once a place where Filipinas used to get together, with an informal market?

i concur. i love shaffi's too :O)

Hi

I am supposed to be moving to Yuen Long in August to teach.

Firstly, I was wondering the average monthly price of accomodation (1 bed) in a 'nice' area?

Secondly, does anyone know anything about an expat teaching in a DSS school?

Thanks

Last edited by xldx; 17-04-2015 at 06:29 AM.

Lightbulb School Options

When we relocated to Hong Kong and moved to Tuen Mun, a trouble was that we really couldn't find any information, in English, about schools around here. We had to sift through the pockets of English posts and use Google to translate a forum called "Education Kingdom" to get info. I thought I'd share what I have observed. First of all, chances are you'd never spot this school or others like it as they aren't called "XXX International School" which make Googling them a nightmare. So here goes...

Apparently there are the following English schools in Tin Shui Wai and Tuen Mun:
    1. Gigamind English Primary School
    2. Yuen Yuen Primary School
    3. W F Joseph Lee Primary School

We eventually settled on Gigamind English Primary School and, while not an International School itself, it is a subsidiary school of Yew Chung International School in Kowloon Tong. We are quite pleased with the quality of education and the general atmosphere. The school has class sizes of 20 students per class and only 2 classes per grade (6 years X 2 = 12 classes in total, or 240 students). The school uniform is a simple polo shirt (in bright yellow, orange, pink or green) with no restrictions on shoes/pants etc. The school has got a reputation for being much less strict, giving less homework and overall less "local" than other English-speaking schools in the area (W. F. Joseph Primary School and Yuen Yuen Primary School).

Languages are taught using school-based material and really follows the students' interests. For example, on occasions classes in the same grade will start reading different novels if the students vote for a certain book over another. For most other subjects (Maths, Science (or "Integrated Studies" as they call it), Music, etc.) the school follows the Hong Kong government's criteria. The books and lessons, however, are in English and are a lot more "active" and engaging than what local schools would do.

It's this mix-mash that really attracts us. Because of the high level of English and the active learning style that is integrated into the local curriculum, the kids have lots of options when they move on to Secondary school. Some transfer right into Yew Chung International School in Year 7 (Secondary 1), while some even do so a year earlier (at the start of P6). Many parents opt to send their schools to top local schools called "Band 1" schools (Hong Kong has 9 bands of schools (Band 1-3, with 3 subdivisions in each main Band). The reason for this is that there are more such schools, but also they are much cheaper $1K-$5K/month VS $12-20K for International Schools. These secondary schools are normally run in English under a "DSS" (Direct-Subsidy Scheme) meaning that while they are largely free to do what they want, their is more accountability to the Government than with International Schools.

A big problem in Hong Kong's schooling arena is the need to "pick" a path for your kid to follow down. Pick wrongly and you are often stuck with a school that will feed your kid into a similarly aligned secondary school. What I have noticed with Gigamind is that it postpones the decision time from the beginning of Primary School to the end of Primary School. All doors are open - International Schools or Top "Band 1" Local Schools.

But at the end of the day, what really counts is that the school is a lot freer and flexible than other schools. The kids are happy and not overburdened with homework, textbooks, workbooks and "dictations" to memorise, like at local primary schools.

Other perks:
    * It's in a quiet residential area of Tin Shui Wai
    * School starts at 09:00, classes at 09:15
    * Chinese is taught in Putonghua
    * It's a private school, so no singing the Chinese anthem or Communist indoctrination.
    * Kids are required to speak English at recess, which means non-Cantonese speaking kids aren't left out
    * The teaching staff has a decent mix of overseas teachers, overseas Chinese ("ABC"/"BBC") teachers and local teachers. Most of them have great English - except the Putonghua/Mandarin teachers who come from the Mainland.
    * Lots of outings and activity days
    * School doesn't ask questions when we pull our kid out for an extended holiday (we have friends at local English-speaking school that has to apply for "leave" for the kid).
    * Gigamind has been around for 15 years giving it a bit more history and establishment compared to other English-speaking schools.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsyguan:
    Hi Timothy,

Reading this thread makes me want to explore YL since I just move here last May..

I was encountered this thread when I was looking for a school for my daughter entering primary one next school year.

I have done research and found two schools accepting a greater number of non Chinese speaking students, YL Long Ping Estate Tung Koon Primary School and Pat Heung Central Primary School.. Have you heard about these schools? or can you recommend other schools accepting non Chinese speaking students in YL area? we are looking for school with affordable tuition fees..

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by joeymckay:
    When we relocated to Hong Kong and moved to Tuen Mun, a trouble was that we really couldn't find any information, in English, about schools around here. We had to sift through the pockets of English posts and use Google to translate a forum called "Education Kingdom" to get info. I thought I'd share what I have observed. First of all, chances are you'd never spot this school or others like it as they aren't called "XXX International School" which make Googling them a nightmare. So here goes...

Apparently there are the following English schools in Tin Shui Wai and Tuen Mun:
    1. Gigamind English Primary School
    2. Yuen Yuen Primary School
    3. W F Joseph Lee Primary School

We eventually settled on Gigamind English Primary School and, while not an International School itself, it is a subsidiary school of Yew Chung International School in Kowloon Tong. We are quite pleased with the quality of education and the general atmosphere. The school has class sizes of 20 students per class and only 2 classes per grade (6 years X 2 = 12 classes in total, or 240 students). The school uniform is a simple polo shirt (in bright yellow, orange, pink or green) with no restrictions on shoes/pants etc. The school has got a reputation for being much less strict, giving less homework and overall less "local" than other English-speaking schools in the area (W. F. Joseph Primary School and Yuen Yuen Primary School).

Languages are taught using school-based material and really follows the students' interests. For example, on occasions classes in the same grade will start reading different novels if the students vote for a certain book over another. For most other subjects (Maths, Science (or "Integrated Studies" as they call it), Music, etc.) the school follows the Hong Kong government's criteria. The books and lessons, however, are in English and are a lot more "active" and engaging than what local schools would do.

It's this mix-mash that really attracts us. Because of the high level of English and the active learning style that is integrated into the local curriculum, the kids have lots of options when they move on to Secondary school. Some transfer right into Yew Chung International School in Year 7 (Secondary 1), while some even do so a year earlier (at the start of P6). Many parents opt to send their schools to top local schools called "Band 1" schools (Hong Kong has 9 bands of schools (Band 1-3, with 3 subdivisions in each main Band). The reason for this is that there are more such schools, but also they are much cheaper $1K-$5K/month VS $12-20K for International Schools. These secondary schools are normally run in English under a "DSS" (Direct-Subsidy Scheme) meaning that while they are largely free to do what they want, their is more accountability to the Government than with International Schools.

A big problem in Hong Kong's schooling arena is the need to "pick" a path for your kid to follow down. Pick wrongly and you are often stuck with a school that will feed your kid into a similarly aligned secondary school. What I have noticed with Gigamind is that it postpones the decision time from the beginning of Primary School to the end of Primary School. All doors are open - International Schools or Top "Band 1" Local Schools.

But at the end of the day, what really counts is that the school is a lot freer and flexible than other schools. The kids are happy and not overburdened with homework, textbooks, workbooks and "dictations" to memorise, like at local primary schools.

Other perks:
    * It's in a quiet residential area of Tin Shui Wai
    * School starts at 09:00, classes at 09:15
    * Chinese is taught in Putonghua
    * It's a private school, so no singing the Chinese anthem or Communist indoctrination.
    * Kids are required to speak English at recess, which means non-Cantonese speaking kids aren't left out
    * The teaching staff has a decent mix of overseas teachers, overseas Chinese ("ABC"/"BBC") teachers and local teachers. Most of them have great English - except the Putonghua/Mandarin teachers who come from the Mainland.
    * Lots of outings and activity days
    * School doesn't ask questions when we pull our kid out for an extended holiday (we have friends at local English-speaking school that has to apply for "leave" for the kid).
    * Gigamind has been around for 15 years giving it a bit more history and establishment compared to other English-speaking schools.
    Good post. My daughter went to gigamind kindergarten when we lived there. Good atmosphere

I might as well put the URL up for Gigamind English Primary School...

Gigamind Kindergarten & Children's House

Can anyone recommend a reliable and not too expensive Dentist in Yuen Long for me please. For a cracked back tooth, may need crown.
    (or one within 5-10 KM of Yuen Long).
    Thanks.

I go to this one in YL

Doctor Siu Kin Wah Dental Surg, Yuen Long, Dental Practitioners

Speaking english well but the nurse not so much.

I mostly go there for check up but my wife have been using this doctor for 30 years.

Eva C likes this.