haircut for a man

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

haircut for a man

Where can my husband get a haircut on the island? He is use to paying no more than $20 US.

Try the barbershop at the Fleet Arcade in Wanchai. They don't speak much English, but if you want a simple cut, they can take care of you. Reasonable too. It's on Lung King Street, very close to the Admiralty MTR, but right by the water rather than by Pacific Place.

Soho

I went for my first cut last weekend at a place just above Queen's Road next to the escalator. It looks quite feminine from the outside but I paid HK$98 and it wasn't that bad. Not great. But good.

Try one of the many Filipino salons in Li Yuen West Street (also known as Alley Alley) in Central. I recommend a salon called Unique in a building called Sunny House on the 7th or 10th floor (can't remember which).

A girl called Marlene is a great hairdresser and charge for a man's haircut is HKD 60 (under USD 8)

There are many salons in Li Yuen West and East streets in Central - all offer excellent value for money but IMHO Unique is the best and understandably one of the most popular. Certainly, consistently the best haircuts I have had in HK and for under USD 8 I really cannot complain

If you wish to PM me I'll give you Marlene's number.

Wink Hair Cuts

Does Marlene cut/colour womens hair too? Are those salons good for pedicures too without paying a lot of money?

Hi Wendy,

Yes - Unique is essentially a ladies' salon catering for Filipinas, Hk chinese and Western ladies and offers hairdressing, pedicure, manicure. What has happened over the years is that husbands and boyfriends of the clientele started going and the business has grown.

Many of these salons are run by Filipinas married (or previously married) to Westeners. Definitely worth a visit. PM me if you want Marlene's number

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    Try one of the many Filipino salons in Li Yuen West Street (also known as Alley Alley) in Central. I recommend a salon called Unique in a building called Sunny House on the 7th or 10th floor (can't remember which).

A girl called Marlene is a great hairdresser and charge for a man's haircut is HKD 60 (under USD 8)

There are many salons in Li Yuen West and East streets in Central - all offer excellent value for money but IMHO Unique is the best and understandably one of the most popular. Certainly, consistently the best haircuts I have had in HK and for under USD 8 I really cannot complain

Hi shilo,

can I have Marline's number pls?

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:

Well of all the hairdressers in all the world.... I went to Marlene for the first time a couple of weeks ago and she was fine. 60 dollars I think. My wife then went for a manicure and pedicure, again fine. I did have her number but can't find it.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

If you can't make it to Unique, well there are plenty of places at well below $ 100 for haircut, shampoo and blow dry in Wanchai at street and near street levels around Queen's Rd East, Johnston Rd, the lanes connecting them, and Wanchai Road. Often there's not a language problem - still, I show them a small photograph I carry of what they should aim for.

I went looking for Unique and found the building, but got pulled in by a "tout" at the entrance to a place called Christine Hair and Beauty Salon on the 9th floor. The "tout" told me that Unique got turned into a karaoke bar and the owner, Christine, moved it up to the 9th floor under the new name.

I don't know if I got duped or not, but the ladies there all had excellent english, were very professional and very friendly, animated conversationalists (not that I'm much of a talker at hairdressers...).

At $70 for a cut, wash and head massage I was pretty damn happy. The cut itself took about 25mins and looks great, done by Ellen.

Room 903, 9th Floor
    Sunny House, 12-16
    Li Yuen St West (2nd alley-alley)

I did see Unique is still listed on the floor directory but I have to say I didn't see it when the elevator doors opened briefly on the 7th floor.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast