Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ways to get a double (Hong Kong and China) car registration?

Ways to get a double (Hong Kong and China) car registration?

I was wondering what the ways to apply or buy a Chinese registration for an in HK registered vehicle are.

Any feedback is welcome. If there are any buy options please send me a private message.

Not difficult, but a little complicated - and a little expensive.

Typical approach is to have/establish a PRC company which will get the PRC registration.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball
    Not difficult, but a little complicated - and a little expensive.

Typical approach is to have/establish a PRC company which will get the PRC registration.
    In this case I'm sure there must be already established companies which would offer this kind of service?

What kind of service are you talking about? Helping you make/structure a direct/business investment in the PRC? Various advisors/professional services firms (many lawyers, accountants, etc.) will be delighted to assist you in this. Once you have the business operations established you can apply to the Guangdong Public Security Bureau for approval to obtain PRC license plates. Subsequently, you need to approach the Transportation Department in Hong Kong – this link has some further information.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball
    What kind of service are you talking about? Helping you make/structure a direct/business investment in the PRC? Various advisors/professional services firms (many lawyers, accountants, etc.) will be delighted to assist you in this. Once you have the business operations established you can apply to the Guangdong Public Security Bureau for approval to obtain PRC license plates. Subsequently, you need to approach the Transportation Department in Hong Kong – this link has some further information.
    Thank you, this post was much more useful. In my previous post I wanted to outline that I don't want to establish a business in the PRC, but would rather look for a service provider which could offer services in obtaining the registrations (without me involved into whatever he needs to do in the background to get this registration).

I think you have to invest something like 10mil to be eligible for one. Last I heard that getting the HK one is not a problem but getting the PRC one is. There's a long waiting list for it. Unless you are willing to pay to "jump queue" and I believe its quite expensive too

That is pretty much correct. Amount required and timing vary from case to case (depending on personal connections, importance or special aspects of the business, etc.) but without any "special" status or mitigating factors that sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by ycchai
    I think you have to invest something like 10mil to be eligible for one. Last I heard that getting the HK one is not a problem but getting the PRC one is. There's a long waiting list for it. Unless you are willing to pay to "jump queue" and I believe its quite expensive too
    Where could I possibly find more information about "jumping the queue"?

Before you even approach the Hong Kong Department of transport for a private vehicle cross border permit, you will need the following to even get to that stage.

• A Mainland Chinese Drivers license attached to an address located in the region, married to the China number plate.
    • Proof that you have a personal company investment of no less than $1 million US dollars, with ex amount of staff employed, to even satisfy the Guangdong Public Security Bureau's Mainland China - Hong Kong cross border permit issuance.

Unless you have a valid GDPSB permit, the HK dept of transport will not issue their cross border permit. You need that documentation first.

I have heard that it is possible to rent a plate and the permit from an existing dual permit holder for about $50,000hkd per year, but not exactly sure on the legalities on how they do it per se. I've also heard that you can buy these permits off people using their name for $360,000, if you don't meet the strict guidelines, but last time I checked this out was 3 years ago, so costs could be even higher than what they were then.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 22-02-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook

I have heard that it is possible to rent a plate and the permit from an existing dual permit holder for about $50,000hkd per year, but not exactly sure on the legalities on how they do it per se. I've also heard that you can buy these permits off people using their name for $360,000, if you don't meet the strict guidelines, but last time I checked this out was 3 years ago, so costs could be even higher than what they were then.
    That would be interesting to know more about. Any idea where to ask?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast