Faux pas!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Faux pas!

I thought there was a fire on our floor the other day but was then informed by management that someone is dying and that incense sticks were being burnt.

I feel embarrassed that I made smoke warning signals to some locals who were coming out of the lift on my floor as I was heading down!

Can someone explain this custom?

Quote Originally Posted by DAQUIRI:
    I thought there was a fire on our floor the other day but was then informed by management that someone is dying and that incense sticks were being burnt.

I feel embarrassed that I made smoke warning signals to some locals who were coming out of the lift on my floor as I was heading down!

Can someone explain this custom?
    It's a Taoism practice. The incense sticks are meant as offerings for the dead loved ones. These sticks are not burnt during death, but also during festive occasions to 'gods and deities'. Between August and September, it is the Chinese Ghost Festival and paper 'money' and other mock material items are burnt as a show of respect.

They really should not be burning them in the hallways - atleast if your building is reasonably new and well maintained.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

KIA, unfortunately nothing stops people, with ill-fitting front doors, to burn the things in their flats 24/7.

Thanks for the replies.

Nothing was being burnt in the hallway but I could smell and see smoke coming from one of the flats.

They burn incense in the hallway and on the stairs in my building. We don't particularly mind as this building's almost 40 years old and some of the residents are over twice that age. It's fairly common in the older neighborhoods around HK.

I've seen people burning incense right in their homes, too, and that makes things uncomfortably smoky if you're inside.

I kinda thought that incense smoke wasn't the healthiest thing to breathe. didn't realise that it was quite so bad until recently.

Incense smoke may increase cancer risk | Science | guardian.co.uk

Last edited by jgl; 17-09-2008 at 09:02 AM.

A colleague of mine is in an older chinese building where they burn incense in the hallways. She's been quite sick recently and her doctor suggested the incense was probably one of the causal factors. It's awful that they can do this to people and there is no comeback.

My mom burns incense sticks at home even though I am asthmatic. But it's her belief, so my dad and I tolerate it. Burning these sticks inside the house is so much worse than burning them outdoors. In the latter case, the incense fumes at least dissipates. My point is that I have health issues against it, but I think it's also important to tolerate the religions and cultures of others (as much as reasonably possible).

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

BeeDees, you are remarkably tolerant. When it comes to religious/cultural/superstitious practices that cause physical or psychological harm to others, my tolerance runs out.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast