+ [Reply]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to Eat Healthy in Hong Kong...

Question How to Eat Healthy in Hong Kong...

...and not go broke doing it?

I've been in Hong Kong for the past 1.5 months, and Asia for the past 4 months. In the States, I'm used to organic vegetables, salads, portobello mushroom sandwiches, protein shakes, and pretty much an overall healthy lifestyle...with the ocassional burger, beer, and cigarettes for balance.

I did pretty well in other parts of Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia) but here in Hong Kong, I've found the everyday food to be pretty greasy and unhealthy. The prices for organic food at CitySuper and healthy Western restaurants is outrageous.

How do YOU maintain a healthy food lifestyle in Hong Kong?

Go to the neighborhood markets. Lots of fresh vegetables, fresh fish, fresh meat and all of it is much cheaper than the supermarkets. In my area, Hung Hom - Whampoa Garden, there is a "farmers'" market. One whole floor is for fresh vegetables, looks like they were just picked that day, another floor contains live chickens and all kinds of live fish, including squid which I really like. Another floor has fresh meat hanging out in the open...no flies, very clean. They chop it up right in front of you. This type of market is better than anything I have seen in the U.S. I can't really think of specific prices but my wife and I usually walk out of there with bags full of spinach, carrots, squid, beef, apples, and other kinds of fish, for under HKD 100.

Likes Recd
    Likes Given
    Echance
    Where is this farmers market in HH. I live in TST East and often shop at Jusco as the TST supermarkets tend to stock up for the Mainlanders these days.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tstexpat
    Echance
    Where is this farmers market in HH. I live in TST East and often shop at Jusco as the TST supermarkets tend to stock up for the Mainlanders these days.

Thanks

Hmm...let's see. I live in Laguna Verde and it is about a five minute walk west on "Over Avenue". We cross a bridge over Hung Hom road and the market is at a sharp curve in the road. You really have to look for the signs as you would never know it was there. It may have once been a medium-sized parking garage. It is enclosed. In that neighborhood there are also many fruit and vegetable stands but the actual market is inside a three storey building/former parking garage. It is very close to the intersection of Tak Man Street and Over Avenue. Also Park & Shop/Homeworld is very close.

how about sandwiches?

Speaking of wraps and sandwiches and the typical North American lunch items, does anyone know of good sandwich places in Central? I'm sick of going to Delicious, Pacific Coffee and Pret a Manger all the time. Archie B's is good but expensive, and there is only so much pastrami that my arteries can handle. The nuked wraps at MiX suck, too. Thanks.

Likes Recd
    Likes Given
    Thanks Echance
    I own a place at Laguna Verde which I rent out to one of my buddies. I am sure he would know where it is. I think I have walked past this place before.

tex

oliver's has sandwiches for pick-up that look pretty good. hubby likes cafe fontaine's sandwiches. there's a healthy cafe at corner of de aguilar and wellington, starts with 'k' and they do wraps, sandwiches, fresh juices too. i have a soft spot for delifrance egg-salad sandwiches on ciabatta but i'm prego so this could be one of those pickles n ice cream things.
    Last edited by tex; 04-05-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Likes Recd
    blowsnow,

What about the CitySuper in the IFC mall? Great deli section...

Yeah Kosmo (the one starts with a K) opposite Starbucks near LKF is a good place to go for salads and wraps!

Likes Recd
    Likes Given
    >>with the ocassional burger, beer, and cigarettes for balance.

you really need them for balance ??

+ [Reply]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast