Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What clothes do I bring to Hong Kong on Holiday

Question What clothes do I bring to Hong Kong on Holiday

Hello there I am coming to Hong Kong in the middle weeks of February and I have been looking at the temperature which in the travel books is around 19 deg at that time. What type of clothing will I bring? Is long pants and short sleeve shirts enough or do I need a cardigan and coat. I would really like to wear 3/4 pants but will it be too cold? Is it windy and cold? I am from Australia where the temp at present is 31 deg so its a bit hard to imagine what I will need. Many thanks

3/4 lengths should be fine, Bring a couple of full length as well and a cardigan or wrap as sometimes the air con gets turned on max in some restaurants etc. Coat you shouldn't need but pack a lightweight jacket if you have one.

Middle of Febuary is the coldest time of the year here - but having said that, it can also be quite warm and pleasant! Where are you from in Australia? I would say it's about the same as a cool Tassie day in summer (it was colder in tassie than HK when I was there over Christmas!) but if you live in Darwin or Brissie then you'll probably feel the cold! If you live in Sydney - it's much like a Sydney winter day; slightly warmer than a Mel or Adel winter day.

I'd bring at least one pair of long pants and a long sleeved top plus a light jumper/sweater or jacket. Rest can be 3/4 and shorts/t-shirts. No need for the hats/scarves/padded jackets the locals are wearing unless you hail from somewhere in the North of Aus and have never previously travelled.....

Thanks for the reply, I am from Brisbane that is why I ask as even in Winter here it is not very cold and other than mid winter at night we dont have to rug up.

In that case I might bring a slightly warmer jumper or coat - just in case we get a cold snap because it IS colder than Brisbane in winter here, on cold days at least. And it'll be cooler up on the Peak or the Big Buddha if you go there for a trip because they are much higher. (It was down at 3 degrees overnight in the New Territories recently, for example).

minus 1 in some parts of the New Territories last week actually.

yeah, coldest temperture since 93, minus 1 in ta kwu ling ( about a mile from my place) freezing my butt off

I'd recommend waiting until the week or few days prior to your trip before deciding what to pack. HK weather can change quickly.

Either way: Do bring an umbrella. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    Hello there I am coming to Hong Kong in the middle weeks of February and I have been looking at the temperature which in the travel books is around 19 deg at that time. What type of clothing will I bring? Is long pants and short sleeve shirts enough or do I need a cardigan and coat. I would really like to wear 3/4 pants but will it be too cold? Is it windy and cold? I am from Australia where the temp at present is 31 deg so its a bit hard to imagine what I will need. Many thanks
    Before I moved over this last year, I came over to HK from Sydney in Feb. The best I can describe it I think is that HK was like early spring in Sydney. From Brissy, you'd probably find it just slightly on the cool side.

Having said that, it seems like a pretty cold Winter in HK this year, so it may be cooler this Feb than last year.

-titus

Great!! thanks for that! great time we picked to travel we dont even have winter clother in the stores yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast