Getting married in HK

Closed Thread

Getting married in HK

My partner and I are considering getting married in Hong Kong. I am aware that the standard way of doing it is the garden road registry office and a hotel/club based "reception", but wondered whether anybody out there had been to any weddings here which were more "off the wall"? I'm not thinking of hanging from a helicopter in an elvis suit kind of ideas, but looking for venues and so on which are a little different....i seem to recall someone mentioning a wine place out in the sticks which was apparently quite cool. Anyway any input much appreciated. Thnx.

I could be wrong but I think you can only get a recognized wedding cert from an official venue such as City Hall, Garden Road or one of the churches. Once you have done that you can 'get married' anywhere you like but the priest will have to agree to go to the top of Ma On Shan or into Old China Hand- wherever you decide to get married.

I'm getting married in HK in June and from what I understand you can only get married at one of the registries or at a recognized place of worship, i.e. a church. However, the latter option has to be agreed with both the marriage authorities and the church something like a year in advance.

But once you've signed the piece of paper, you're clear to have your reception wherever you like - a hired junk or something similar, for example.