Like Tree12Likes

Working in China with Home Return Permit

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Working in China with Home Return Permit

Hi all,

I am planning to move to China in Oct to teach where my friend will be my employer.
    I have been going through a lot of threads in this forum but can't seem to find the right answers.

I currently hold a UK passport, HKID and China Home Return Permit.
    Does the Home Return Permit allow me to work in China without applying for a work permit? And if I was to fly out to China I would not need to produce my passport?

If not, can someone guide me on what I need to do and whether my friend will need a say within the application.

Thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by awong09:
    Does the Home Return Permit allow me to work in China without applying for a work permit? .
    No, it is not a work visa.

Holders of the Home Return Permit are able to freely enter Mainland China for tourism or business purposes (but not purposes of employment) within the validity of their travel document, regardless of the point of origin. (from Hong Kong, Macau, or overseas) However, they must register with the local police (Public Security Bureau) within 24 hours — or within 72 hours in the countryside — if they are staying overnight for a short trip in a friend or relative's home.

If holders of the Home Return Permit intend to reside in the Mainland on a long term basis, they are required to first obtain permission from the local prefecture/municipality police (Public Security Bureau), from whom they will obtain a special long-term residence permit if their application is accepted.

If you are a Hong Kong Chinese compatriot, holding a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card, Home Return permit and HKSAR passport, and need to work in Mainland China: Is a work permit put into your HKSAR passport, or is there some other kind of document issued?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    If you are a Hong Kong Chinese compatriot, holding a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card, Home Return permit and HKSAR passport, and need to work in Mainland China: Is a work permit put into your HKSAR passport, or is there some other kind of document issued?

Thanks
    no, a work permit is not a visa.

I believe this is the official set of rules. I am curious to know how the requirements differ between a Hong Konger going to work in the mainland, and a mainlainder with say a Guangzhou hukou taking a job in Shanghai? I think in both cases the parties need to report to the local PSB, right?

[劳动和社会保障部]台湾香港澳门 民在内地就业管理规定(部令第26号

Your employer needs to get you a work permit and then you use it to get your work visa.

Citizens of Hong Kong and Macau who hold a valid Home Return Permit (回乡证) have no restrictions and may live and work in mainland China indefinitely. These are issued mainly to ethnic Chinese. Permanent residents of Hong Kong and Macau are still considered to be foreigners in mainland China and are required to obtain a residence permit to live and work in the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by uriengill:
    Citizens of Hong Kong and Macau who hold a valid Home Return Permit (回乡证) have no restrictions and may live and work in mainland China indefinitely. These are issued mainly to ethnic Chinese. Permanent residents of Hong Kong and Macau are still considered to be foreigners in mainland China and are required to obtain a residence permit to live and work in the mainland.
    Try again. Not true.
    dossier likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast