Like Tree2Likes

Does ABC have ROA?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Does ABC have ROA?

Hello,
    I am an ABC (American Born Chinese), and I recently argued with a friend if I have the ROA in Hong Kong. My parents are both Chinese, and were born and bred in Hong Kong, but are now residing in the U.S. I believe that just because my parents were born there does NOT mean that I have the ROA, but my friend thinks that I do. Can somone please solve this mystery for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Strawberry. I been down this road too. So i'll tell you what i know.

I'm a BBC (british born chinese) My parents are like yours, born and rise in Hong Kong, i'm not sure what other factor are required... but you must be 18 years old or over to apply. With the laws as they stand, you must return to HK with your parents to apply for your ID Card, they must bring every form of ID with them... especially their HK paper work including Marriage Certificates (don't forget to bring yours too!) - if there is anything missing or wrong, the gov. won't process the paper work and you won't be notified.

But... here's the bad news. If you lose your parents at any time between now and before you apply, You may well definitely lose any right to abode in HK. My advice... come to HK for a family Holiday.

I'm not sure what's happening now with the hand over in 1997, i believe if your granted a Hong Kong ID, you still have to return at least once every 3 years to keep your ROA active. Residents who's ID Cards issued Prior to 1997 needn't return.

So in this case, your friends, i think are correct.

more info: http://www.esd.gov.hk

Last edited by lazarus; 09-04-2004 at 05:34 PM.

Hey Lazarus, thanks for replying. It's nice to know that someone went down the same road that I'm walking. Will I still have the ROA even if both my parents now hold US passports? By the way, I'm guessing you were successful in obtaining your HK ID (?)

Yep, i got mine 10 years ago, back in 1994. Both my parents hold full UK passports, they never Renounced their Chinese Nationalities because the Hong Kong was a former colony and the UK citizens are allowed Dual Nationality. Not sure about the US.

So, to answer this question... it really depends on your parents status, i think. Take a read of this page, i think you'll be more than interested in finding out all the facts, direct from the immigration department.

Who can enjoy the Right of Abode in the HKSAR?

Overseas Application for Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (PIC)

Good luck.

Last edited by lazarus; 10-04-2004 at 04:46 AM.

Hmm... I think the situation is a little more difficult for me since the US does not encourage Dual Citizenship. My parents might have lost their "Chinese Nationality" the day they became US Citizens. If that is the case, then getting the ROA in HK from my parents will be slim to none. This is a shame, I love HK to death and was seriously considering relocating there. I understand that obtaining a working visa requires a special skill of some sort that locals cannot fulfill, so that would be a difficult road as well. Thanks for the effort Lazarus!

well... you said, the ''US does not encourage Dual Citizenship' i think there maybe still a slim chance for you... ask your parents, they may of kept their Chinese Nationality hidden. I know some people have done this in the pass, in fear of been 'kicked out!' It's totally illegal but... i suppose what the Gov don't know, won't harm them.

"It's totally illegal but... i suppose what the Gov don't know, won't harm them."

Lol. While the US does not encourage Dual Citizenship, they don't make an effort to crack down on it either. Some countries don't acknowledge the renoucing of nationality by other countries, so you're right, I do have a slim chance. This situation is a sticky one, and I'm gonna have a nice long chat with the parents to see what the deal is.

No no, ROA is not a citizenship. ROA is just somehow like the US greencard. You will have dual citizenship when you use your ROA to apply and get your HKSAR passport.

I know ROA isn't Citizenship, but without ROA you can't apply for HKSAR passport.

So, Step One is get your HKID, if your Chinese then you have a right to it. Even if you later decide Hong Kong isn't for you. Without your HKID, you can't do much here.

Hehe.. I have both EU Passport, HKSAR Passport now... I'm almost Happy

Last edited by lazarus; 10-04-2004 at 07:04 PM.

You're a lucky guy then!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast