Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Renewing China Home Return Permit

Renewing China Home Return Permit

Hello, I was issued China Home Return Permit in 2002 and it is about to expire in 2012. Recently I heard that HKSAR passport is required when applying for China Home Return permit. If I am not mistaken, that policy came into practice starting 2005. Will I experience any problems in renewing my China home return permit next year considering the fact that I do not hold a HKSAR passport ?

To give you a little background, I was born in the Philippines to a Hong Kong father. When I reach the age of 11, I was give a child HKID. And then at 18 years old, I was give an adult HKID. In 2006, my adult HKID was replaced with a Smart Card version. I have "*** AO" on my HK ID. Recently, I applied for a HKSAR passport but got denied because my father had the right of abode (visa issued to aliens) in the Philippines by the time I was born. He holds a British Passport even while staying in the Philippines for a few years.

Back to my question, will I experience problems when renewing my china home return permit if I am not a holder of HKSAR passport ?

From what I have found from my friends, if you currently hold a home return permit and want to renew, usually it isn't an issue if you do not have a HKSAR passport. It just seems to be for new applicants.

Hairball is right, only new applicants need the HKSAR passport.

To confirm what's been said, you don't need an HKSAR passport to renew your Home Return Permit (回 鄉 證 'Wui Heung Jing'). Seems the tighter restrictions only apply to new applicants.

Many months back, I didn't have an HKSAR passport (anyway, am not eligible for one coz of my parents' settled-abroad status when I was born) and renewed/replaced my HRP card without problems.

Make sure you fill in the application form in Chinese, or where it specifies - notes on how-to are only in Chinese - or get help with that beforehand. (Pick up the form from one of seven Home Return Permit Service & Travel offices in HK - hm, there can be quite a queue just for that.) Other from the wait, depending on which office you go to and at what time (first thing early morn's the best BUT avoid Mondays), it's a straightforward process.
    Last edited by emmie; 29-11-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    PDLM likes this.

Thanks Hairball, Drunken Master, and Emmie for your reply

My HRP is valid until Dec. 2012. How soon can I apply for renewal ? Should it be 6 months before the end of validity ?

Anybody know if I can get my Return Home Permit renewed the same day - i.e. apply first thing in the morning and get the permit in the afternoon? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tcheng3580
    Anybody know if I can get my Return Home Permit renewed the same day - i.e. apply first thing in the morning and get the permit in the afternoon? Thanks!
    Not 100% certain but I don't think China Travel Service's 'Entry Permit' offices here work that way nor that fast. AFAIK, it's normally two weeks' wait (i.e. 10 working days) OR 5 working days' via their so-called express route (for another HK$200).

Now, apparently, if you've lost your HRP CARD and need to go to the mainland at short notice, say, in 3-4 days (and you're a foreign passport holder), you can go the one of the bigger CTS branches (e.g. Mong Kok) to apply for a temporary HRP document - good for just one-time travel, while your replacement is in the works - as their records already show that you're a HRP holder (and they won't issue you with a China visa in your 'other' passport). This urgent 'quick fix' could be processed within two days (one, if application is submitted first thing in the morning, but it's a case-by-case basis, under CTS' discretion).

Quote Originally Posted by jct2002

My HRP is valid until Dec. 2012. How soon can I apply for renewal ? Should it be 6 months before the end of validity ?
    Don't know. But heard of someone putting in a renewal application just over a month before HRP's actual expiry date.

You may renew it at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by jct2002

I'm about to renew in next year so have anybody read on any rules changes?

Quote Originally Posted by emperorau
    I'm about to renew in next year so have anybody read on any rules changes?
    No changes -- no worries -- as long as you have an HK identity card with an ic chip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast