Like Tree7Likes

Can my child who was born outside of Hong Kong get an Hong Kong ID?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

London, you want to be a Chinese citizen? That's what you have to be to get an HKSAR passport. Permanent residency doesn't give you Chinese citizenship.

Eligibility for HKSAR Passport

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 09-03-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Actually you are wrong... my boyfriend who was born in Canada but never came to HK until 2 years ago (he's 30) got RTL/HKID because his mother was born in Hong Kong in the 50's... even though she immigrated to Canada when she was 13 and never returned to Hong Kong since... he was still able to get RTL because she was born here...

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    London, you want to be a Chinese citizen? That's what you have to be to get an HKSAR passport. Permanent residency doesn't give you Chinese citizenship.

Eligibility for HKSAR Passport
    Not really but I'd quite like the home return permit which I've been told I can only get if I can get the HK passport so it looks like its a dead end...

Another question - If my hypothetical child was born outside of HK, would they be entitled to anything such as RTL with me having ROA here?

This is because your boyfriend was born before 1997 and thus had eligibility for ROA as a non chinese citizen. Although he never went to hk, he still had that right but lost it due to not being in hk once every 36 months and downgraded to RTL. Those born after 1997 handover does not have the same rights.

Quote Originally Posted by pekoe:
    Actually you are wrong... my boyfriend who was born in Canada but never came to HK until 2 years ago (he's 30) got RTL/HKID because his mother was born in Hong Kong in the 50's... even though she immigrated to Canada when she was 13 and never returned to Hong Kong since... he was still able to get RTL because she was born here...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Hairball, niossap and dossier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    Not really but I'd quite like the home return permit which I've been told I can only get if I can get the HK passport so it looks like its a dead end...
    My folks told me about - then I applied for - the HRP long before they changed the application requirements, i.e. now an HKSAR passport prerequisite (as proof of 'Chinese citizenship').

Another question - If my hypothetical child was born outside of HK, would they be entitled to anything such as RTL with me having ROA here?
    What I don't know about this subject could fill thousands of libraries but... I have a cousin who, when twelve, emigrated with her family to the west, and who later married a Caucasian there; although she hardly returns to HK at all - her 'home' being elsewhere - because she was born in HK (to HKID holders) and so has an HK birth certificate and HKID (ROA), her kids also got their HKIDs (under-11 youth ones) when she brought them back a few years ago, mainly just to do the paperwork for them.

So, I'm guessing that one of the parents must have an HK birth cert (i.e. was born in HK) before they can apply for an HKID for their child born outside of HK.

'Else just have the kid born in HK - that way he/she could get:

- whatever foreign passport(s) you have (country permitting); e.g. British Citizen by descent - first gen only;
    - an HKID (ROA) - straightforward with an HK birth cert
    - an HKSAR passport (which you apply for at the same time as for the HKID) ;
    - then with the HKSAR passport get his/her Home Return Permit (if you should so decide that your baby must have one(!), AND bother to apply before rules change again).

Actually, there's nothing special about having an HRP, as you could probably just as easily apply for a 3-year - if not more - multi-entry China visa, especially as you're Chinese, now permanently living in HK. Just a question of paying more, if indeed you do need it to go to the mainland a lot.
    Last edited by emmie; 09-03-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Question

I was born outside of HK to parents, one born in HK in 1966, the other born in the UK. Would I be eligible for either ROA or ROL? My father did have ROA in Feb-Mar 1997. I was born in '02. Would I be viewed as having either status?

Quote Originally Posted by ChanOfRedThree:
    I was born outside of HK to parents, one born in HK in 1966, the other born in the UK. Would I be eligible for either ROA or ROL? My father did have ROA in Feb-Mar 1997. I was born in '02. Would I be viewed as having either status?
    CHeck " hairball's guide to ROA/RTL " online