Canadian Citizen and Filipino Citizen + HK working visa??!??

Closed Thread

Canadian Citizen and Filipino Citizen + HK working visa??!??

I was just offered a job that will begin this July in Hongkong. It as an English/Drama teacher. I was naturalized in Canada many years ago so I have been a Canadian citizen. Last April, I planned to move to Asia to work. So I changed my residency in Canada so I am a non-resident and so that I won't have to pay taxes with them. I can always go back there anytime to change my residency. Since I was born in the Philippines, I applied for my retention of Filipino citizenship. This will allow me to work in the country and pay my taxes there. There is an agreement between Canada and the Philippines and it IS possible for someone from both countries to have a dual citizenship. Now, I was offered a job in Hongkong and this will require an application for working visa. Will my being a citizen of both countries (Philippines and Canada) be an issue? Sorry but I don't know anything at all about immigration laws, practices, and as such. I'm also worried that since I am also a Filipino citizen, this can be a concern for my employers. I've heard of discrimination among English teachers there. They prefer white English teachers don't they? It doesn't matter if you've been born in the States or Canada and have an Education degree. If you're not white, they won't give you a second look? I've experienced this when I applied in Korea and they asked for my picture. A lot of my white friends also attested to this. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sadly, I'm afraid that your fears may be well-grounded. But if you have a binding contract you should be able to push it through. On the other hand, unfortunately, there is no race discrimination legislation in HK.

>> They prefer white English teachers don't they?

Welcome to Asia.

The next time around a Chinese / Korean / Indian / Japanese / Filipino person complains about racism, remind them what happens in their backyards.

Just to be clear, I don't think there will be any problem with the Immigration Department - it's you employer you might have difficulty with.

You might want to use your Canadian passport when applying for the visa though, as Filipino ones are less favourably treated.

ace_seven

I dont think you have dual citizenship. Read this http://www.pcgenla.org/FaqLegal1con.htm . Per Philippine Embassy, you lose your Filipino citizenship when you become Canadian citizen (: