Eligible to work with dependent visa?

Closed Thread

Eligible to work with dependent visa?

Hi, I've had a dependent visa on my father before I was 18 and have been renewing it over the years.

I'm in my twenties now, and looking to find a job in HK, so my question is if I am eligible to work in the country with a dependent visa, or will I still need a work permit?

Thanks

tabletop

Yes, you can work on a dependent visa.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Isn't there a cut-off for dependent children, i.e. once they leave education?

surely, he/she can naturalise with a permanent hk id card if he has lived in hk for 7 years? assuming he /she is over 25 now?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Isn't there a cut-off for dependent children, i.e. once they leave education?
    They have to be unmarried and under 18.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    surely, he/she can naturalise with a permanent hk id card if he has lived in hk for 7 years? assuming he /she is over 25 now?
    The question wasn't about naturalisation. It wasn't even about PR, which would be the case (and the OP would know about that) if they had lived here for 7 years.

Perhaps the OP would clarify their situation.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    But we've seen examples of extensions beyond 18 here. So it seems there is the odd exception.

Thanks for all your replies.

In my case, my father's a permanent resident and has applied for dependent visas for his spouse and children BUT we do not live in Hong Kong. At most we travel to the country at least once a year on holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    That's what I thought, but I'm 21 and I've had my HKID for almost 4 years. I've extended it at least once 2 years ago when I was 19, and in that year I've actually completed an internship in HK under my dependent visa. I will be returning to extend it again in a few weeks. So I'm not sure how this works exactly? I've been studying in the UK, so maybe that's a valid reason for an extension above 18?

I think you should wait and see if they'll extend it again. I'd be surprised personally.