Hi all! New to the forum. Have read lots of posts, many of which have been extremely helpful, but have some specific questions relating to my situation.
Currently in NY with wife and young children and contemplating an opportunity in Hong Kong (for 2-3 years). Live in the suburbs in NY, so thinking about areas like Stanley, Repulse Bay, maybe Discovery Bay. Would expect to have a decent expat package (good housing allowance, educations, maybe some extras).
- Tradeoffs between the areas mentioned above (or other worthy candidate that I've missed), specific buildings or communities (the Repulse Bay, Parkview, etc.) in terms of size (ideally 3+ bedrooms, 2000+ sq ft), amenities (pools, gyms, tennis, pre-schools, proximity to super-markets, etc.), proximity to good healthcare, expat community and activities, proximity to clubs (expat clubs, golf clubs, etc.) Commute not as big a concern (commute over an hour currently in NY)
- Where are best hospitals if goal is Western-style labor and delivery with English-speaking doctors?
- How does school enrollment work? Can I get my kids into preschools if I decide in August / show up in September? Can employers be helpful in enrollment process?
- If I need a furnished apartment, do I need to find a serviced apartment or can I rent an unfurnished place and find a rental service that will furnish (higher end furnishings)?
- Has anybody recently negotiated / received any of the following expat perks (trying to decide where to push, how to prioritize):
- travel to US for two annual visits (Holidays + Summer) - what class of travel?
- driver / car
- Club membership (do large multinational corporations still maintain meberships to clubs like American Club, Royal HK Yacht Club, HK Country Club, etc?)
Sorry for the lengthy post and appreciate any and all repsonses.