Like Tree15Likes

New to hk and str8 to db

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New to hk and str8 to db

We'll be moving to db end of sept with 6 year old twins, and I've been wondering about places we should take the boys to play, is there any specific place children go to for playing except db plaza and sienna club? What do u folks do on Sunday for example.
    Thanks

Beach, Hike, Tennis, playground, boat, dim sum, church, swim, movies, golf.

Check out the DB golf course...you can play golf, eat and use there nice pool...good deal.

Pretty much the same things I did when I lived in NYC or Los Angeles. Biggest difference being that HK has far less art, music, dance, live performance, culture and diversity than NYC.

Last edited by closedcasket; 15-09-2013 at 06:52 AM.

But a lot more beaches, country parks, outdoors activities etc etc etc...so it all boils down to what you like has a person/family.

Quote Originally Posted by Michel961:
    We'll be moving to db end of sept with 6 year old twins, and I've been wondering about places we should take the boys to play, is there any specific place children go to for playing except db plaza and sienna club? What do u folks do on Sunday for example.
    Thanks
    There is at least one play ground in each village and both clubs (Club Sienna as well as the Resident's Club at the main plaza) have play rooms, not to mention the beach for your boys to play at.
    There are also football and rugby clubs for kids in DB (this weekend there is a rugby tournament at the beach for example).
    Sadly the only non-fastfood Chinese restaurant in DB is the one at the Resident's Club - and it's not a good one. For a dim sum fix it's best to go downtown.
    The closest cinemas are in Tung Chung (25 min by bus) and Central (Palace IFC, 25 min by ferry).
    Mat likes this.

There are also kids things to do around Hong Kong worth trying. For example the Hong Kong Science Museum, the Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defence (an old fort), and even the Hong Kong Railway Museum (just a couple of trains). All are pretty fun for kids.

And wait until they discover the "Toy Street" in Wanchai (Tai Yuen Street) or the one in Sham Shui Po (Fuk Wing Street). Kids love playing there.

Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    But a lot more beaches, country parks, outdoors activities etc etc etc...so it all boils down to what you like has a person/family.
    If outdoor life was a priority of mine, I would choose NYC for sure! Clean lakes & rivers, clean beaches, camping, fishing, skiing etc is way better... Only a short drive away.

Have you lived in NYC mat? I'm guessing not.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    If outdoor life was a priority of mine, I would choose NYC for sure! Clean lakes & rivers, clean beaches, camping, fishing, skiing etc is way better... Only a short drive away.

Have you lived in NYC mat? I'm guessing not.
    Can we avoid turning this into another of ur Us vs HK thread?

Thanks Elle for an informative answer.

Penguin, I would add to the list Hk museum of history and the heritage museum (great Bruce lee exhibition these days).
    Last edited by Mat; 15-09-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    chris_yang22 likes this.

Thanks

Thank you all, much appreciate your feedback, one thing I liked about hk is this special community aspect, in our look and see people would stop and help us /direct us without even asking, we are also looking for a stay in helper if any with a good recomendation, or any advice on how to proceed.
    One last thing I've heard about new comers meetings where veterans would guide us and tip us about db, is it recommended ? Knowing that my wife is coming str8 to work and it would be me who will attend since am taking a month off at the beginning just to put things on the right track.

any one visit the maritime museum on way to chai wan?

think kids would like to go to lei yue mun - fishin village on stilts.. an basically a an aquarium u can eat the exibits or go play on 'shell beach'

Quote Originally Posted by Michel961:
    Thank you all, much appreciate your feedback, one thing I liked about hk is this special community aspect, in our look and see people would stop and help us /direct us without even asking, we are also looking for a stay in helper if any with a good recomendation, or any advice on how to proceed.
    One last thing I've heard about new comers meetings where veterans would guide us and tip us about db, is it recommended ? Knowing that my wife is coming str8 to work and it would be me who will attend since am taking a month off at the beginning just to put things on the right track.
    The original (free of charge) newcomer's meetings have been discontinued due to poor attandance. I believe there are now commercial ones (i.e. paid for), but don't know how good or bad they are.
    I've been living in DB for quite some time, feel free to pm me with any question you might have.
    Last edited by Editor; 16-09-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Clean up: The post you are referring to had been removed.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast