Like Tree4Likes

Advice on average living costs

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

MTR > Train Services > Regular Tickets

"The Sheung Shui - East Tsim Sha Tsui Monthly Pass is available for passengers travelling between Sheung Shui and East Tsim Sha Tsui stations and on the Ma On Shan Line. Passengers using a Monthly Pass also enjoy free feeder services on designated routes, making their journeys faster and more convenient."

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Then you gather wrong. But I have a strange preference for information to be correct.

(And I've no idea what the "plastered up balls" comment means, or which hiking trip it refers to - I do several every week with between 1 and 25 other friends each time.)
    mate, so did your monthly scrotum wax went wrong again, your balls (known locally in slang as 春袋/transliterated as spring pockets) still feeling a bit sensitive and raw! possible too much adhesive this time like the last time.

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread68173.html

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Where are you moving from? I can tell you that the overall cost of living here is certainly cheaper than London and Manchester in the UK, even when you factor in the rent that's a bit higher than London.

Agreed, HK is significantly cheaper to live than London

Hi,

This is a good thread. I too am calculating the cost of living in Hong Kong. My difference is that, I have a job offer of around $15000 per month, and I can only stay at my relatives for a few months, so I need to include housing cost too.

From what I gathered:

1. Food = $35 - $50 per meal * 2 meals per day = ~$3000 per month
    2. Travel = $15 per trip * 2 trips per day = ~$900 per month
    3. Electricity = $300 per month (or up to $1500 - $4000 per month???)
    4. Water = $2000 per month???
    5. Internet = $256 per month from netvigator
    6. Rental = $6000 or more
    7. Other cost?

Total: $12365 - $16156 per month

Is the above cost correct? Is there anything I am missing? I think renting an apartment would include other cost such as security and such, is that correct?

Is it generally cheaper to live in a serviced apartment or cheaper to rent my own place?

It looks like $15000 per month salary will be very tight.

[QUOTE=volforto;846941]

1. Food = $35 - $50 per meal * 2 meals per day = ~$3000 per month
    depending where you work, say in Central the lunch is usually at least 50....some people bring food to work or buy salad, then it's cheaper (salad is 20 or so)

2. Travel = $15 per trip * 2 trips per day = ~$900 per month
    again, depends, if you take tram to work, it's 2, if you take subway, usually it's below 10 if you live on hk island (assuming you work on hk island too),

3. Electricity = $300 per month (or up to $1500 - $4000 per month???)
    4. Water = $2000 per month???

water won't be that much unless you live in a super big house, but since your housing budget is 6k or so....so water is probably like 100 or so....
    I live by myself and have shower everyday, seldom cook at home, my monthly water fee is lower than 100...

electricity is more expensive in summer as you use AC, but 300 is an okay guess.

5. Internet = $256 per month from netvigator

6. Rental = $6000 or more

depending on the area, but usually 6k is for a tiny flat, like 300-400 sq ft or so

7. Other cost?
    sometime you might go out with friends, so you might want to consider that as well...
    eat outside with frds should be at least 100/per
    movie, 50~80
    what about drink in the night? 150+
    any shopping?

so yes, 15k won't let you be able to live like a king for sure....but it won't be too bad either.

Last edited by dr1122; 02-07-2010 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks for some of the figures provided - helps to give a clearer picture of the costs involved.

Ah brilliant stuff - thanks for this as I have just been trying to do similar calculations - living in 'serviced' accommodation skews your budgeting a bit.

My plan of action is:

Rent approx $10-12k
    Food approx $4.5k
    Pubs/fun approx $2k
    Electric approx $500
    Travel approx $200
    Water approx $500
    Internet approx $250
    Misc approx $1k

Have I missed any burning expenditure issues? Obviously I haven't budgeted for those 'ooo I must have that' moments and the utilities will depend on usage I know.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The "water" seems high. The "travel" seems low - or will you be walking to work?

MPF is $1K a month, unless you are exempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    The "water" seems high. The "travel" seems low - or will you be walking to work?

MPF is $1K a month, unless you are exempt.
    Travel wise if I stay in the same area as now it's $3.70 each way to work - so about $150 a month. Thanks for reminding me about MPF and also my health plan - employed under local TaCs, will tone down the water also.

actually, the MPF is 5% up to a maximum of $1000.