Moving to HK with a local contract - external hire

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to HK with a local contract - external hire

Hi,

I am considering moving to HK with my family (a spouse and a child, al most 4 yrs old) from Tokyo with a local contract. A position is in Operation Dept. at a large international bank. I have never negotiated a contact before and wondering if asking below things are reasonable things to do or not since they have pointed out for a few times already that it would be "a local contract" :

• Moving cost (if not all then at least some)
    • 1 month accommodation (serviced apartment)
    • A spot at an international school being secured by the company
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by FYITS:
    Hi,

I am considering moving to HK with my family (a spouse and a child, al most 4 yrs old) from Tokyo with a local contract. A position is in Operation Dept. at a large international bank. I have never negotiated a contact before and wondering if asking below things are reasonable things to do or not since they have pointed out for a few times already that it would be "a local contract" :

• Moving cost (if not all then at least some)
    • 1 month accommodation (serviced apartment)
    • A spot at an international school being secured by the company
    Thank you!
    • Moving cost (if not all then at least some) -> YES
    • 1 month accommodation (serviced apartment) -> YES
    • A spot at an international school being secured by the company -> Not easy if not on expat contract BUT you can try (they may not pay for it but at least help you with it)
    • I would add: One trip ahead of moving (few months before) for the family to have a look and make sure you are OK with the move
    • Are you Japanese? If so what's the deal after you get bored in HK -> any way to go back to Tokyo?

'A spot at an international school being secured by the company'

Could be tough. I've read in local media this has become a real nightmare for many expats. Anecdotal evidence from friends/colleagues with families suggest the same, and many are leaving HK when their kids reach school age. International schools apparently are flooded with cantonese speaking moneyed locals these days. Bit of a shame for expats who would otherwise be very content to live in HK for longer. Good luck with it though.

@ Mat, thanks for the comments. Yes, I am Japanese. Well, there's nothing really to go back to in Tokyo if I get bored of HK unless the company transfers me to some other locations internally.

@ Char Siu King, yes, I've heard my friends complaining about how difficult it is to place their kids at decent international schools - simply no spots available whatsoever. This will definitely be a huge problem for us if we decide to move to HK.

1) A 4 year old can easily slip into the local stream or a local private school. Dont limit your choices to strictly international schools.
    2) Japanese international school is seen as Japanese (and not English); therefore it doesn't have the larger/longer waiting lists that others do.

@ DeletedUser, oh interesting choice...haven't thought about it to be honest. We will definitely take that into consideration.
    @HowardCoombs, everyone I know in HK are either with expat status or with pretty-good packages so haven't heard anything about local private schools... I will definitely look into that as well.
    @and, not yet. still in consideration.

Thank you-

FYITS

Where will you be working?

Soemthing to consider with regards to the combo school/place to live/place to work

Tai koo and Hunghom being, as I see it, the most Japanese "friendly" places in HK

I've been working on getting some kids into schools recently. Some years are very problematic...Year 1 especially.

Be prepared for a large up-front and often non-refundable 'capital levy'.

@Mat, I will be in the financial district (?) of HK. I was originally thinking about Kennedy town/Central/Happy Valley and around those places. I will check out those areas you mentioned. thanks.

@Fiona in HKG, yes, I have heard about those costs...thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by FYITS:
    @Mat, I will be in the financial district (?) of HK. I was originally thinking about Kennedy town/Central/Happy Valley and around those places. I will check out those areas you mentioned. thanks.

@Fiona in HKG, yes, I have heard about those costs...thanks for the heads up.
    Financial district - usually Central. Or IFC in Kowloon. There's a bit of water in between.

I'd find out ASAP if I was you. There's a big difference in term of, well.... everything

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast