Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Adore
  • 1 Post By Cwbguy
  • 1 Post By chingleutsch
  • 1 Post By Adore

Kwun Tong

Closed Thread

Kwun Tong

I am possibly moving from the US to Kwun Tong in Kowloon. I am looking for a place to live in which I can pay around $7500 (US) a month. I have a wife and 2 girls (a 3 and 10 yr old). School is important, accommodations, and things to do with kids. I am willing to commute up to 45 minutes if necessary. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Chris

Your accommodation budget is quite reasonable and you should be able to find a decent 3 or 4 bedroom apartment fairly easily (especially if you stick to Kowloon side or the nearer New Territories).

However, as I'm sure many people will tell you, the schooling situation here can be very tricky. Sort out your children's schooling first, then work out the other stuff from there. If I were you I'd be on the phone trying to sort the schools out ASAP.

Thanks. Do you have any specific names of apartments...

Quote Originally Posted by cmk6560:
    I am looking for a place to live in which I can pay around $7500 (US) a month
    You're able and willing to pay $90,000 USD a year in rent. I can't even think of places in New York City or San Francisco that cost that much to rent. I almost can't imagine just how much money you're making. Let me guess, at least $300,000 USD per year?
    nick.hk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adore:
    You're able and willing to pay $90,000 USD a year in rent. I can't even think of places in New York City or San Francisco that cost that much to rent. I almost can't imagine just how much money you're making. Let me guess, at least $300,000 USD per year?
    Or he has a housing allowance. Either way it's not relevant to the thread.
    To the OP kwun tong is not a particularly expensive area. Neither is it that nice! You may want to look at places like Sai Kung or Clearwater Bay and get a village house. More space for kids and nicer ambiance.

BUT as others said, all of this is moot. School first. Absolutely essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Adore:
    Some vinegar to go with that rather large chip?
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Some vinegar to go with that rather large chip?
    Yea. I deserved that. Snippy post gets snippy response. No argument there.
    Last edited by Adore; 26-11-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Cwbguy likes this.

come look at clear water bay, 58K is a very nice budget and from here to Kwun Tong its one mini bus ride around 30 mins in traffic.

Again try finding school 1st especially for your 10 year old.

I'll say it again:

School(s) first.

If you don't do things this way around, it could end up that you live right next to your office, but your 3 year old ends up with a 90 minute one way trip to school (heck, that would be bad enough for the 10 year old). You don't mention what time of year you would be moving: if at the beginning of 2015, it would be a case of any port in a storm. If the children would be coming over for the '15 - '16 school year, you still need to be doing heavy duty research and sending in applications already.

As others have mentioned, you have quite a healthy housing budget, so does your company offer any school debenture(s) as part of the package? That would increase your chances (although not guarantee) places in a particular school.

HK_Katherine likes this.

School is indeed tricky in Hong Kong, but I am sure you will find a way to figure that out

Not exactly Kwun Tong, but try The Wings at Tseung Kwan O. It has a really nice shared area including swimming pool, gym, kids playground, etc. It is on top of a shopping mall and the MTR which can bring you anywhere close in about 30-45 minutes. Not if you want to travel to the Outlying Islands though.

Clearwater Bay and Sai Kung are really nice, but the traffic can be horrendous at times, especially during the summer months on Hiram Highway. There is no MTR there, so you will have to rely on public transport or own transport.

Furthermore, I think it depends on where your office is. Otherwise you might consider Pokfulam, Kennedy Town, Happy Valley. All really cool areas and close to good schools