Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Delia school of Canada - any feedback

Question Delia school of Canada - any feedback

For my daughter we were thinking of applying to Delia school of Canada, any feedback on thi sschool is appreciated. thanks.

Negatives, not many gweilo kids there, mostly other asian. Average English ability is therefore not high. Facilities are not as good as the more expensive private schools.

Positives, committed, enthusiatic and fun teachers. Good (in my opinion) approach to teaching and learning, i.e. a lot of independent learning and problem solving. My daughter enjoyed her time there so it can't be too bad. Not a lot of rich kids there so your daughter will stay more grounded in the real world.

You may hear lots of rumours about drugs and problems but my understanding is that this was from years ago and was not a problem when my daughter was there.

Banned

The description above is fair... Definitely a lower tier private school, poor administration at the top, decent teachers, majority of students are well behaved, overall academic achievement is somewhat lower than top HK school but still many outstanding students particularly those from indian background. Many japanese and korean students with limited english skills. No more discipline problems than other schools. Very interesting blend of nationalities unlike many of the HK school who are only international in name but actually have 80-90% chinese students. The best students have no trouble getting into good universities...

thanks both of you for your quick replies...We are interested for ESF (Kennedy)...she has attended interview there for P1 and results are awaited, want to keep Delia as a backup. Also got offers from Harbour school and International Montessorie school...difficult to make a decision!!!

Banned

Don't fret too much about it, it's primary school and I don't know Harbour School but I'm sure they are all fine. So as long as you get a good feel for the teacher/administrator, it's very unlikely to be a life altering decision...

If you have UK background, go for ESF. It's pretty good value education and they have nice facilities across the board... If I had caucasian children of that age, I had money and lived on the island, I'd go for ESF, HKIS, CIS or CDNIS. CIS has the best mandarin program and it has outstanding academics. HKIS is great if your kids want to go into the american system and it offers a great variety of extra curricular opportunities and AP courses in HS. CDNIS has a great family feel and nice facilities, loads of activities and offers IB right through on the same campus.

jgl

I'm under the impression that there are several Delia campuses.

I knew a teacher at one (I believe in Taikoo) who confirmed the above reports on English ability.

Banned

There's only one Delia School of Canada, the others have slightly different names. Even in Tai Koo, there is a Delia Memorial in the same building as DSC...

Delia School of Canada or Discovery College?

Please advise, two kids 7 and 13. Pros and Cons. Thanks.

I think I answered your question earlier as regards DSC.

Many students transfer out of this school as its quality is on the low end. They do have foreign teachers but heard that teachers dont stay long. Not many western students. Have seen classes with 0 or 1 western, the rest are asian, so it does not encourage using English when talking to friends as students buddy up with others who speak their language.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast