Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hong Kong Institute of Technology

MXZ

Hong Kong Institute of Technology

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with the Hong Kong Institute of Technology? Their site is HONG KONG INSTITUTE OF TECHOLOGY.

I'm quite interested in the "Bachelor of Information Technology" degree that they're offering. The URL for the course description is available at HKIT BIT Degree.

Basically I have the time and would like to get some higher qualifications under my belt.

Does anyone know if HKIT is any good?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks in advance

Noticed no one has yet replied to your query re: HKIT, so thought I'd say what I've heard from locals in general.

This institution is not all that well thought of - not for bachelor degree courses anyway. Their main student intake are those who didn't do well at upper secondary level, and so most move on to "Associate Degree" studies before, possibly, working towards a full degree later.

And if English is your main language, I wouldn't advise you going there because in class both students and teachers use mainly Cantonese, although the materials will be in English.

Re: IT subject at degree level - I'd suggest you do a thorough search looking at Hong Kong University and their HKU SPACE, or the continuing education arm of the University of Science & Technology (UST), or the Chinese University of HK (CUHK's PT or FT continuing education), or perhaps even the Institute of Vocational Education (IVE), which is also way low down the list because of lower "admission requirements", but, at least, have a little more recognition than HKIT (?).

Better do a bit more research, and ask around.
    Last edited by sera; 24-06-2008 at 06:04 PM.

MXZ

Hiya,

Thanks for posting

I don't speak Cantonese so that pretty much rules out HKIT. No point going to lectures if I can't understand anything

I have contacted a couple of universities and have had one favourable response from CUHK. Also impressed that they replied the same day

Failing that, I will look through the continuing learning and the SCOPE programmes. Unfortunately all of the degree courses (at least it seemed that way) were for topping up - and oddly I couldn't find the associate degree that I would need to do the top up.

Still, it's good to hear from you - the more I know, the better informed my decisions will be :-)

Thoughts on CUHK?

er2

Quote Originally Posted by MXZ
    Thoughts on CUHK?
    Well, plenty. Especially on postgrad programmes though, since I do my PhD here If you ask a bit more specific (program, interests, are you in HK already, why do you wanna come here in the first place) you might get more specific answers The big three here (HKU, UST and CUHK) are quite different in every aspect. I like CU, but some internationals find it less international than HKU. UST has afaik the best MBA, but those alumi I know found their undergrad life there a bit over-nanny'ed (I'm quoting here. Not sure if this phrase is english at all )

MXZ

Hi er2,

Basically I have finally been able to move to HK and at last can live with my wife. I have a dependency visa which is neat as I qualify for local courses.

My job is still based in the UK and I am able to do my work via the Internet. My boss is really decent and as I have no enforced timescale other than previously agreed deadlines, my time is very flexible i.e. I can also study full time

I went straight into work after doing an AVCE in the UK so I don't have any higher level qualifications. I figured that as I currently have a reasonable income and the available time, it would be a good idea to try and get some qualifications.

I'm 25 so I for qualify for most universities 'mature' entry track.

So really I am looking around to try and find a course that's interesting (probably something in the IT) and at a good university. Problem is, it's a bit late to enroll in courses for this year so I'm running out of time and choices

Hope this helps

I didn't want to be the first to reply as I am in charge of a competitor! HKIT do not have a good rep so avoid them for all the reasons given above. The IVE ones mentioned (actually under the School of Higher and Professional Education - SHAPE if you wanted to look at their website) are also top-up so not relevant to you I am afraid.

MXZ

I would like to avoid the places with a bad reputation and the 'half assed' ones

Whilst I fully appreciate that my lack of choice is entirely self inflicted (i.e. no qualifications worthy of the name and leaving it until the last minute) it would be great if I could find something to do

er2

Well, in terms of reputations the big three (HKU, CUHK and UST) are definitively in their own league within Hong Kong, as they are the only ones with a really comprehensive research and postgraduate program across all disciplines. I had a look into some of the undergrad classes at CUHK and found them quite high-school like in terms of the teaching approach (I also attended universities in Germany & Singapore and found the amount of independent study to be quite a bit more important there). Level of the courses was pretty tough though.

I'm not sure what a mature entry track is, is it only related to the entry requirement or does it also mean you enrol in a different program?

CUHK is quite proud of their college-style undergrad system, which imho results in a lot of rather silly inter-college games which you, given your age, most likely will not enjoy.

So in a nutshell - if you go for a IT undergrad degree at CUHK, you'd most likely find the program itself rather interesting, the classes maybe slightly less entertaining (chinese professors don't really discuss a lot with their students) and the program's reputation will be as good as it gets in HK (any UK degree will be regarded as superior, though). Social life is something you probably won't find on campus, but given that you're married to a local it is maybe not what you're looking for. CU has level 1&2 cantonese courses which count towards your degree (unless you're native speaker), campus facilities are great, so if you find a program that matches your skills & interests I doubt you'd regret studying here.

Good luck with the application!

MXZ

Hiya,

Thanks again for the indepth reply. Unfortunately from my brief conversation with the guy running the courses I was interested in my application is 'very unlikely to be considered'. Ho hum.

So, next question is what do I do now? I would like to avoid the Open University type courses and would rather not redo the joys of A level...

Guess I should start looking at associate degrees...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast