Like Tree8Likes

Crossing the streets

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Jeez, so they do enforce that??

they did! and I wrote a shitty letter to a judge and got the fine reduced by 50% - punished for being environmentally concious and crossing when safe to cross blah blah,

still think jay walking laws suck.

and I think hk would still be quite a terrible place to be disabled

when you will be under a truck, we will see if you still think it sucks.

I think your posts on this forum have clearly demonstrated that you have an issue with the law when it comes to driving/parking...

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    what are you wonder woman? why don't you just get back to work and be glad we made crosswalks at all.
    A city that is not wheel chair friendly is not much of an international city. Tourist attractions and the hospitality industry in many countries target the disabled tourist as another niche to attract.

Crossing the streets in China is an adventure and recently on a two week business trip in Beijing found myself crossing with the locals against ped signals as it was safer to go with the locals as by the time the ped crossing light was green it was open season on peds.

Wheel chair bound people would be in tough if they did not have a car to get them to where they want to go.
    Renotommy likes this.

I always cross on a red man when no buses in sight, i didnt realise i could get fined for it....how much am i looking at if i continue on my jay walking ways?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    when you will be under a truck, we will see if you still think it sucks.

I think your posts on this forum have clearly demonstrated that you have an issue with the law when it comes to driving/parking...
    becos I am soo blind and stupid that I walked in front of it?

then can the law save me from myself?

just becos something is illegal doesn't equate to it being dangerous..

and conversely just becos its legal doesnt make it safe..

I'm telling telling you I looked both ways twice - nothing coming for a Block each way - I judged I could walk the 3 meter wide single lane safely in that time with out disrupting another "road" user.. ( ie causing them to slow down or deviate course. )

so why penalise me?

what I absolutely hate is walking to the middle of a road - in those cages - and having to wait pointlessly for another 3 mins becos the green man wont take me all the way over legally,,,
    Last edited by audiot; 08-02-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling!
    bookblogger likes this.

There are laws, you abide to them or you pay the consequence. That simple.

The law is stupid, yes maybe sometimes that's the case. tough luck.

so you're one of those eh? - they're the rules and you will abide by them ?

dont you ever think - jeeze thats just stupid. and the gormless runt with the clipboard should get a life?

or you just gonna pull your pants down and bend over?

+ in the UK I always thought that pedestrian crossing were advisory - and if there was no traffic then you may cross legally.. ( and thats the way it should be - people are capable of crossing roads safely - I do agree if they cross in a dangerous fashion then they should be punished tho )

I must admit I do snigger to myself when I see people waiting for the green man at midnight with nary a soul in sight..

ps today I got let off for an illegal U turn

I told the copper that my way was blocked and it was dangerous for me to be sat in the middle of the road on a motorbike.. ( i was turning right into a narrow entrance and the taxi i was following in stopped suddenly )

he agreed and decided to accept my apology.

I'm glad you're not a copper

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    I always cross on a red man when no buses in sight, i didnt realise i could get fined for it....how much am i looking at if i continue on my jay walking ways?
    sorry cant remember - think it was either 700 or 500 $

as I said I wrote a complaint and got 50% off..

stupid law

must be for stupid people?

anyway top tip - just look out for a line of people holding clipboards.. ( usually by pedestrian crossings )

or policemen on beats..

I got done once in 17 years.,,, its not a big risk..

it think the law as it stands here is that it is illegal to cross within (err?) 5 or 10 meters of a ped X-ing..
    Last edited by audiot; 08-02-2012 at 07:30 PM.

I got stopped for crossing on a red. The policeman growled at me and asked for my ID card and where I was going and I said "to the doctors". He smiled and let me go. I found it all quite surreal.