Like Tree44Likes

CY for better or worse

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by amitsingh_hk:
    Big difference between him and Tang is that the latter pinned the blame on his wife when it was clearly him. Even if it was her fault, as a husband take the fall for your wife - you are the man. She accepted his infidelity. Lost a major battle there in public opinion polls. All downhill for him thereafter.

CV's illegal structures was an oversight done from the previous landlord - with him having signed off on the illegal part without necessary sorting it out. He didn't construct himself - unlike Tang's illegal basement.
    Well you're wrong on both counts there: he IS blaming his wife, and they were definitely not done by a previous landlord:
    History repeats itself: CY Leung’s wife admits building illegal wooden canopy
    dear giant likes this.

It's either hilarious or tragic, but it changes so much every day, I can't decide which.

dear giant likes this.

1st 30 days

more fruit money and public housing (and not commenting on the free press being harassed)

keeping the poor reliant on the Government - occupying the political territory of the democrats which makes its interesting

dear giant likes this.

There are way more important issues at stake than some minor illegal structures on his home (which is the norm, rather than the exception in HK btw)

If journalists were doing their job they would focus on what matters not on those minor issues.

The heart of the problem is that, if a person cannot manage to show some integrity or, failing that at least exercise a bit of restraint, when the stakes are small, then the odds that the same person will be able to exhibit such crucial traits when handling more important matters are slim.

The trellis, mini-basement, etc. are not, in and of themselves, important. Shamelessly standing by while one's political opponent is disemboweled over illegal structures when your own home is festooned with illegal structures, then shamelessly lying about them having been there in some form when you purchased the house, etc. and so on and so forth just screams that the individual in question is a worm and unsuitable for high office.

One gets the feeling that one is facing a person who wouldn't be able to pass up a chance to extract even the smallest advantage or benefit for himself if he believed that he could get away with it. Even given something as trivial as a plate of cookies, that sort of person seems like the sort to connive to quickly count the number of chocolate chips in each cookie and reserve the ones with the most chips for himself.

Today' society is one that loves scandals and the likes.

Juat have to read Geoexpat to.understand that.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    There are way more important issues at stake than some minor illegal structures on his home (which is the norm, rather than the exception in HK btw)

If journalists were doing their job they would focus on what matters not on those minor issues.
    It undermines the rule of law in Hongkong. The government's efforts to deal with the new territories/heung yee kuk illegal structures is now compromised because of this and people will now think they can get away with doing illegal things because everybody else is doing it. Slippery slope in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ewankho:
    It undermines the rule of law in Hongkong. The government's efforts to deal with the new territories/heung yee kuk illegal structures is now compromised because of this and people will now think they can get away with doing illegal things because everybody else is doing it. Slippery slope in my opinion.

People think they can get away with illegal structure for years , not because of CY

But don't worry, I get your point.

a leader should lead by example...

That said very few do.

To my mind only one current political figures does, Ang San Suu Kyi...
    Last edited by Mat; 17-07-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    People think they can get away with illegal structure for years , not because of CY ...
    Mat, I think you will find that yes this could be the tip of the iceberg and so too perhaps the scam perpetrated by Mak Chai Kwong, former development secretary, and the assistant director of another gummint department. The issue is how are these cases going to be dealt with since gummint folks are (rightly or wrongly, you tell me) held to a higher standard.

In the case of McChicken, he was arrested by the ICAC. I don't know if the Chief Executive is immune from prosecution, but I can't believe that you don't see this, fundamentally, as a matter of importance.
    TheBrit and dear giant like this.

There's a gap(perhaps even a chasm) between "setting a good example" vs actually breaking laws, lying and attacking opponents on something you are guilty of doing yourself.

If laws are not enforced and officials are above them then the country/territory becomes a banana republic... or China! One country...one and a half system

Gatts and dear giant like this.