Like Tree7Likes

Pokfulam Apartments

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pokfulam Apartments

We (my wife, 2 x children and I) have just arrived in Hong Kong with new employment. Our location for accommodation has been dictated by the fact that the only school we could attain a place for our eldest son is at Kennedy School. As such we are looking for rental accommodation in the Pokfulam area with the following criteria:

1,500sft +
    2-3 Bedrooms
    1 x Car space
    Newish fittings
    Storage provided
    HK$40K - HK$60K

To date our searches via property agents have not been too fulfilling (Bel-air and only 1 or 2 blocks on Bisney Road). We would like some info or potential contacts (other agents) dealing with property in the area, in particular the university apartments on Pokfulam Road. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kieran

You should also consider Scenic Villas and perhaps some of the low-rise buildings on Sassoon Road.

Also have a look at Baguio Villas, low rises on Consort Rise, The Regalis, Victoria Gardens, Royalton.

There are a couple of agents located in Lower Baguio Villas.

Hi we have also just moved to Pokfukam/Kennedy Town..and are looking for 3 bed apartments around this area..How are Victoria Gardens apartments?

Reviving this older Pok Fu Lam message thread, my wife and I will relocate to HK within 60 days. With minimal direct insight, Pok Fu Lam appears to be of some interest. Here's our flexible, yet ideal criteria:

• Budget: HK$40K - HK$50K
    • Size: 1,000 - 1,300 sq ft (legitimate, usable space);
    • All rooms: reasonably good size, rectangular shaped; few to no odd-angled walls (minimal wasted space); relative recent updates
    • Bedrooms: 2 BR; at least 1 non-claustrophobic, good sized BR; or, possibly 1.5 BR withthe 1/2 BR including a quality desk and reasonably comfortable futon or sofa bed;
    • Kitchen: recent fittings (mid-late decade new or updated; open
    • Bathroom(s): ideally 1.5 - 2; mid-late decade new or updated;
    • DR & LR - ideally 1 open room, possibly with open kitchen
    • Pool: good, yet not an absolute deal killer
    • Storage provided; or, available via extra 2nd, or even 3rd small, BR
    • Garage space: extra for now

How delusional to realistic are our ideal criteria? Please provide helpful suggestions on what to expect, and how we should adjust expectations.

I'll work near Central in the Citibank Plaza building. My wife will work from home running her business. Acknowledging Pok Fu Lam Rd is quite lengthy, how convenient will my commute be from various locations along the road (AM 7 - 8:30; PM from late rush hour to later in evening)? Taxi availability (non-rainy days)? Bus convenience?

DINKS: With 2 incomes and no kids, we're well past the raging party animal stage yet still enjoy getting out for drinks and dinner (sometimes in-week; often on weekends). Will Pok Fu Lam be boring? Will we find reasonably good quality, non-local restaurants? Beyond Cantonese or other Chinese cai, can we order in later in the evening?

We like children, yet noise can be a challenge when working at home. While respecting our neighbors, we're also likely to stay out later on weekends than families, try to sleep in weekend mornings, and, if a pool exists, normal youthful squealing from other people's children can sometimes get old. The children could be ours in the future. In the interim, which apartments are less family-focused than implied by messages above? Specific areas or buildings to consider?

Thank you in advance for your helpful insight and suggestions.
    Last edited by HK-Husky; 07-07-2010 at 02:36 PM.

40-50K for 1000-1500sqft, as long as you stay away from the new luxury blocks is very doable in almost all locations on the island barring a couple of very expensive neighborhoods (Peak, ShousonHill, RedHill etc). You've got a huge range of choices and no kids; I'm curious why you would pick PFL?

I live in Happy Valley (so I'm biased) but I would suggest you look there. Conventient to transport, shopping, restaurants as well as short distance away to hills and mountains.

HC

HK-Husky likes this.

>> Budget: HK$40K - HK$50K

Will get you a 1520 sq foot, 3 bedroom in Baguio Villas, or perhaps a smaller one in Belair. We like Baguio, for a couple of reasons - high efficiency ( 95% ) and all corners without exception are 90 degrees.

The 2 bedroom 1100 sq feet apts in Baguio are $25-30 I think.

Most of the dial up dinner places will deliver although I think the Pokfulam charges and wait time is longer than say Mid Levels.

Not many entertainment options - 1 movie theater and a couple of ok restaurants in the Meridien in Cyberport.

Both the number 28 (from CWB via Kennedy Road) and 8 (From the old Star Ferry area) go t oBaguio & Victoria Road. Average commute during non-rush hours is around 15-20 mins into Central.

Taxi to Baguio is about 55$ from LKF and about 90$ from the Excelsior in Causeway Bay, so the rest of PFL should be within a $30 range.

Lots of young families (includes us) in places like Baguio and most of the other buildings in PFL... the sound from the swimming pool does not really affect us. On foggy days, we can hear the ships passing by ...

HK-Husky and Satay Sue like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Along Pokfulam Road, many of the properties are owned by the University of Hong Kong. It has an estate agent it uses to lease to the public (sorry, don't know the name but sometimes an agent's board is visible from the road).

You can't avoid children. But that's not the noise which will be so bothersome; it's the seemingly never-ending drilling coming from renovation after renovation, each lasting months.

HK-Husky likes this.

Happy Valley is a better option if you don't have kids. The top part of Blue Pool Rd, seems pretty quiet and green.

HK-Husky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    You've got a huge range of choices and no kids; I'm curious why you would pick PFL? I live in Happy Valley (so I'm biased) but I would suggest you look there. Conventient to transport, shopping, restaurants as well as short distance away to hills and mountains. HC
    Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Happy Valley is a better option if you don't have kids. The top part of Blue Pool Rd, seems pretty quiet and green.
    Some contacts suggested we consider PFL and a lot of green areas appear to exist for occasional runs/hikes, so your comments and those of others are appreciated. We'll take a look at Happy Valley and find a HV thread to pose similar questions. Thanks all to date and those who follow with similarly helpful info on PFL, HV, or any other acronym'd location.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast