Sham Wan Tower, Aberdeen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sham Wan Tower, Aberdeen

Is there anyone currently living in this complex? Any views on it would be highly appreciated. I heard that traffic to Central can be very bad.
    Thanks.

Smile

If I were u I prefer South Horizon which has direct trip to Central. But Sham Wan Tower is brand new and smaller.

I saw a couple of apartments in Horison and they didn't look too good. The one in Sham Wan is in tower 3 with over 900 sq ft. I saw the bus stop to Central is just across the road right?

The problem is how u get your food? When u compare the bus # and how frequency the bus then u will know the different. Smaller means when u compare the gross sq ft and the net sq ft (My friend has just moved out from Sham Wan Tower, she complains that she needs to stop by somewhere buy what she needs then wait for the minibus back to Sham Wan Tower ). How much is the rent in Shan Wan Tower for 900 sq ft? In South Horizon is around HK$12,500 - 15,000 per mth for 9XX sq ft. Good luck.

they are asking for 22K and my estate agent said that the landlord will not accept less than 21K. I think I very much made up my mind now. Thanks very much. I think I'll just stick to Happy Valley.

Lived in South Horizon for 3 years and it is a great place: lots of buses to all places on HK island and Kowloon; fresh air, seaviews, decent club house; convenient shopping with a huge Park'n shop, local food market, all within the area.
    Only drawback if that flats are old and require extensive renovation when you move in.

Just got some feedback from a Chinese friend living in Sham Wan tower: flats are small (low efficiency rate) and commute is difficult unless you start your day really early (like before 7am) as buses get all full in South Horizons and nearby Lei Tung public housing before even reaching Sham Wan.

You likely would have to taxi your way to Central. But then, the Aberdeen tunnel is badly congested every morning from 7:45-9am.
    Rents are also particulary high when compared with South Horizons.

Good point is the sea views, especially those toward Ocean Park to the South.

based on my own research, for similar rents, I would recommend nearby South Horizons or Bellagio in Shum Tseng on Castle Peak rd - great sea & bridge views and 35min to Central via the Western tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by psampras88:
    based on my own research, for similar rents, I would recommend nearby South Horizons or Bellagio in Shum Tseng on Castle Peak rd - great sea & bridge views and 35min to Central via the Western tunnel.
    This morning, it was only 27 minutes to Central....

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD:
    This morning, it was only 27 minutes to Central....
    you were in swt yesterday morning? anyone in your old flat yet?

I have been living in Sham Wan Towers (SWT) for almost 2 years now and don't think to move soon.
    The views are great from both sides (I live on the Aberdeen side, looking also up to the peak, whereas the other side overlooks Jumbo, Ocean Park and Aberdeen Yacht Club), the air is fresh, and because of the lovely pool and design it gives you a kind of South East Asia resort feeling.

Since it was only completed in 2004, the units are in a very good state. It was developed by Sun Hung Kei, which is one of the high-end developers here in HK. This is reflected in the attention to the fine design of the club house and gardens, as well as the high quality appliances in the flat (e.g. all water taps are by GROHE, an expensive German brand).

There is always the question as whether to choose South Horizons (SH) or SWT. It depends. If it is for renting with a family of two kids it?s probably a bit more spacious to live in SH. Also for those whose decision making depends 60% on convenience then SH might be for you.
    If it is for investment, I'd suggest SWT. As said before, the units are almost brand new and of very high quality, the view is great and in fact the price is only about 10 - 15% more expensive than SH, which is at least 11 years older. I looked at a lot of units in SH, which were often rather run down. Investment in refurbishment would set you back at least another 200k, thereby further reducing the price gap.
    If you are a first time buyer, either single or a couple you will also be happy to know that ALL units, big or small, have an open view. In SH only the large units have. And, if you wish, in SWT you may keep pets.

As for commuting between SWT and say Central, you actually have a lot more choice from SWT than from SH. If you live in SH, there is only one direct bus (M590), unless you live next to Ap Lei Chau Estate (90).
    All buses on Ap Lei Chau go pass SWT, so it has M590, 97 and 90. The traveling time is shorter too.
    When it comes to shopping, I'd say it is a matter of preference. If you prefer to live right next to a busy shopping centre, want to shop 24/7 and don't mind the crowds - SH is your choice.
    If you can manage to organize your shopping in one go once a week then it?s SWT. Even if you forgot something, it?s only a pleasant 7min walk to Ap Lei Chau Main Street (through Ap Lei Chau Park) or 5min to Lei Tung ParkNShop.

All in all, SWT is a great escape from the hectic city life at a still affordable price.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast