Like Tree11Likes

Staying in HK on Work Visa After Employment Termination

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Visa

Anyone have any updates on this topic? If terminated can a 'professional' stay until the visa expires? Does anything need to be done or just stay until expiration?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewbie7007:
    Anyone have any updates on this topic? If terminated can a 'professional' stay until the visa expires? Does anything need to be done or just stay until expiration?

Thanks
    Yes.

Nothing.

But you may not work or study without making an application to ImmD.

Got it, thanks guys.

My work visa expires. Can I travel?

Hey guys! Maybe somebody can help me, I find my situation is a bit complicated.

I terminated my job and the work visa expires on the 23rd of September.
    I found a new job and applied for the new work visa which should be approved by mid October.
    The official at immigration department gave me a little sheet with a reference number of my case. This sheet has the number ID359.
    He said that I can stay in HK after the 23rd to wait for my new visa and do not need to make a visa trip once I get the new one (which I doubt is true; can you activate a new work visa with a new employer without a visa trip?) The sheet would be fine if I go travelling in the meantime to leave Hong Kong, said the official.
    I actually doubt that this is true as the immigration website says I need a interim extension of stay visa:

"Q8:If my application for extension of stay has not been finalized and I intend to leave Hong Kong after the expiry of my current limit of stay, do I need to obtain an interim extension of stay before my departure from Hong Kong ?

A8:
    Yes. If your current limit of stay has expired or is going to expire on the date of your departure, you are required to obtain an interim extension of stay in advance.Applications may be made in person or by an authorized person before the expiry of the limit of stay to the Extension Section on 5/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong. Depending on your current status, you are required to bring the following documents:

1. Applicant's valid travel documents;
    2. Applicant's Hong Kong identity card;
    3. Completed form ID91 with a reason for request for an interim extension of stay;
    4. A letter from your sponsor/employer/school supporting your application for interim extension of stay or an ID481 issued by Extension Section showing that the required supporting document from your sponsor/employer/school has been received on the date of submission of your application for extension of stay.

Applications for interim extension of stay will normally be finalized on the same day upon receipt of all necessary documents and fee of extension of stay."

is the sheet I got this interim visa? I didn't get any stamp in my passport.

I want to go travelling on the 26th and I'm scared they don't let me depart without penalty as they may think I'm overstaying.
    Also, when I come back mid October, could I immigrate on this old working visa / respectively the ID359 sheet?

I don't understand what I should do
    and how the immigration department treats my case?
    Thank you very much for your help

Mate, if HK immigration said you will be fine, you will be fine.

But then again, if you want to be 100% drop them an email and they will be able to confirm.

I would say you have an extension of visa. I find visa's in HK rarely look like what they are!