Like Tree2Likes

NAS usage help

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Travis82:
    why not use freenas that's what i use and its a hell of a lot cheaper than that shitty synology crap thats under powered.

If you need help building up a nas for your needs feel free to message me i run one at home that streams to htpc's all around the house and it runs sickbeard for tv show downloads and couchpotato etc..

I run a 16tb nas now and im running low on space. So i suggest you build one yourself for future expansion and a hell of a lot lighter on your wallet.
    Hello Travis (and others, for my questions below),

I am just starting to look into the idea of getting a NAS for my home. I have been using portable external hard drives to back up our MacBooks (3 MBA and 1 MBP) and a Mac Mini. We may add a PC in the future. The portable drives have been too unreliable (and I've been a little careless too) and they've filled up too quickly.

I only started reading about NAS so I am not 100% sure if this is what I need but I like the idea of having a 'cloud' like ability so that our family pictures can be viewed from multiple computers/tablets (and from anywhere) instead of just the Mac Mini.

I would also like to use it as a back up system too.

Is a NAS what I am looking for? Let me know if there are other questions that need to be answered to help me determine the best solution.

Thanks.

I am going to start a new thread to avoid derailing this thread.

Here it is:http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/1...ml#post2941201

Last edited by Rayzilla; 24-08-2014 at 09:37 AM.

I have a Western Digital NAS - Software is atrocious