Like Tree21Likes

4G mobile broadband versus PCCW fixed line DSL?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10

Sure, though it's not a very robust way of doing it. Your going to have a reduced signal and if you need any type of firewall settings would be tricky. I guess you could lay the phone near a router with ddwrt firmware setup as a wireless bridge. But again, not a very robust (stable) way of doing things

So just to confirm: if taking out the Smartone 4G 6gb + FUP package; you can no longer use the SIM card in a "non-smartphone" device? E.g. a 4G Dongle or router

I'm being told by SmartTone that the first 6gb can still be used in a modem, but after the first 6gb, it needs to be in a phone

Quote Originally Posted by paul45:
    Coming back to close the loop on my experience. Went to Smartone and got the data only account, 6GB + FUP. I think I'm paying around HK$500 for that per month. The USB 4G dongle (Huawei brand) costs about HK$1500 I think, which is included in my monthly payment. I ordered the Dovado 4G/LTE modem bridge from the UK (check the Dovado website, they will give you the name of the dealer). I tested the USB dongle first in my PC, which required some Smartone software. It was setup and connected in about 2 minutes. Unplugged the dongle and then connected the Dovado to the PC by Ethernet cable and set that up for bridge mode. I don't recall any other adjustments I needed to make. Plugged the dongle into the Dovado and connected the Dovado by Ethernet cable to my home router's WAN port. The Dovado/router take a minute or so to establish the connection. And that was it, very straightforward and easy to setup. I'm now getting a pretty steady 20-30Mb/s connection at my house, which compares to 4-5Mb/s on the old PCCW DSL (advertised as 8Mb/s) line. That line is sitting idle now, but I may connect it to the helper's room so they can use that until the contract is up this summer. In terms of usage, we blow through the 6GB within the first 2 days of the month usually (I get a text message). I honestly can't see any dropoff in speed or coverage after we go to "FUP" so it hasn't been an issue thus far.
    @paul45 Any updates on how you are finding this at present (re using the Smartone FUP 4G service)?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10