Like Tree24Likes

New Canon DSLR suggestions please

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by tnidhi:
    I guess Sony and Panasonic have some good ones?
    Yep and so does Fujifilm via its X series which will be releasing its greatly anticipated X30 very soon.

So I'd take a look at some online reviews ( Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review ) of Sony's RX series, Panasonics GM & GX series and Fujifilms X30 ( when it is released ) to get an understanding of the differences..

Once you have done that, hit the camera shops and demo each one and choose which one has the best Price/IQ/features/form-feel factor, combination specific to you.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 01-08-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    imparanoic and tnidhi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Yep and so does Fujifilm via its X series which will be releasing its greatly anticipated X30 very soon.

So I'd take a look at some online reviews ( Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review ) of Sony's RX series, Panasonics GM & GX series and Fujifilms X30 ( when it is released ) to get an understanding of the differences..

Once you have done that, hit the camera shops and demo each one and choose which one has the best Price/IQ/features/form-feel factor, combination specific to you.
    demo these camera and see what best for your requirements

also consider sony a5000 and a6000, ( competes with Panasonics GX series and Fujifilms X30 range ), if you can find a recently discontinued nex-5t at discounted price - a reason why some people don't sony - annual successor), it could be a bargain and no camera at that price can compete

Sony NEX-5TL - DSLR 數碼單鏡反光相機 - 相機 - 攝影 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

this store is excellent, I have purchased my sony nex-f3 in early 2013 at decent price at this store

China Club Audio & Video
    Skyhook and tnidhi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Remember that the OP has a budget of 3.5-6K which presumably includes lenses. All this talk of full frame sensors or 7Ds is a bit redundant.

If someone is serious about learning photography, pour money into lenses. Bodies change and become obsolete quickly and frankly don't matter for 95% of situations. Good lenses last decades and coupled with even the most basic bodies can give great results.

OP, if you are *really* interested in photography, get a bunch of secondhand primes and not a zoom. And certainly not something like an 18-200 (low optical quality and encourages beginner photographers to be lazy and not think about composition and perspective). Get a cheap body... if you are convinced you want a Canon, that's probably a 100D or a 450 or whatever the current model number is.
    So where to find second hand primes in HK that fit on the Canon 100D?
    I'd want a 35mm lens (because I heard with the cropped sensor it would actually have results closer to a 50mm).
    I see Canon sells a cheap 50mm, but all their 35mm start at a much higher price..

Quote Originally Posted by bffallo:
    So where to find second hand primes in HK that fit on the Canon 100D?
    I'd want a 35mm lens (because I heard with the cropped sensor it would actually have results closer to a 50mm).
    I see Canon sells a cheap 50mm, but all their 35mm start at a much higher price..

This link and anything that links off it.

Hong Kong Camera Hunter Pt.2 - Shamshuipo & Mongkok | Japan Camera HunterJapan Camera Hunter

Wanchai computer centre. SSP computer centre. Check KEH.com for what secondhand lenses go for, and add some buffer % for HK pricing.

Or you can look at the 40mm F2.8 EFS pancake lens. Reasonably inexpensive, tiny, supposedly super sharp at 2.8. Translates into a 60mm on a cropped sensor camera, so pretty close to 50mm. I use one when I can't be arsed carrying a zoom and don't want wide angle prime.

Edit: 40mm translates to 64mm, not 60. Still close enough for general non-wide applications.
    Last edited by jgl; 10-08-2014 at 02:09 PM.