Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By hongkong7
  • 1 Post By jgl

overheating micro SD

Closed Thread

overheating micro SD

I have a new Sandisk micro SD 16GB which overheats within minutes of inserting it into my new Samsung GT S7392.it doesn't get warm it gets hotplate hot . Enough to give me a blister when removing it . On re insertion it heats up within seconds .left unnoticed it would possibly catch fire . Could someone kindly advise on this . Is it the card or phone problem . Phone is under warranty from fortress but I want a heads up before I take it back .I was astonished a memory card could heat up to that degree so fast .

take it to sandisk service centre for exchange

I had once a faulty kingston class 10 micro sd card, didn't work after 30- mins, exchange it with service centre

Take it back as suggested.

There are also lots of reports of fake Sandisk/Kingston cards, and they do strike me as one of the more obvious things to fake (easy to just slap labelling on any SD card). Did you get yours from a reputable source?

Quick Google:

How to Test Fake Flash Memory | China Electronics Insider
    Beware Counterfeit Memory Cards Being Shipped From Amazon Warehouses

shri and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Take it back as suggested.

There are also lots of reports of fake Sandisk/Kingston cards, and they do strike me as one of the more obvious things to fake (easy to just slap labelling on any SD card). Did you get yours from a reputable source?

Quick Google:

How to Test Fake Flash Memory | China Electronics Insider
    Beware Counterfeit Memory Cards Being Shipped From Amazon Warehouses

if it's fake, sandisk service centre will test it and tell you they can't do anything about this counterfeit micro sd card, but consider a class 10 sandisk 16gb only cost HK$70-150 (expensive price is usually fortress/boardway), why buy a fake in the first place

BTW, I have purchase fake memory stick duo 10 years ago via internet, now I only use official authorized retailers

Why is this even a question?

What is the confusion here? Were you thinking it might be normal for such cards to reach blister forming temperatures?

Just take it back to where you bought it for a replacement

>> why buy a fake in the first place

Perhaps the shop sold it as genuine? Until jgl posted the whole thing about fake cards, it did not register to me that I need to be a bit wary about SD cards too. Just bought a Kingston 8GB - Class 10 for $50 the other day and would hate for it to burn up and set my living room on fire.

Ok thanks for the fast replies.since both items were new from different retailers wasn't sure if it was most likely phone or card problem . No problem to get a new card just if it's a phone issue and it sets a new card on fire at some later time .the card was fine when used the first day .the next day It seemed hot enough to set my phone on fire in my darn pocket . That would ruin my day .

Ok dug the receipt out of the rubbish bin . Turns out $59 for 16gb . Does that sound too cheap for genuine Sandisk ?. Anyway Couldn't find the pack but took it back to 298computer Centre henessy road where the dude exchanged it without question after confirming the card does over heat . Problem sorted .new card is fine . A good geo expat solve :I would have wasted time in trying to sort my phone otherwise : thanks

imparanoic likes this.

When you have a $60 SD card and a $1000+ phone, it's usually a pretty easy guess which component a suspect first

Genuine and fake SD cards are going to sell for similar amounts, it's just that in the second case someone along the supply chain is making more money. Card prices also vary a lot by speed, so $59 doesn't really indicate anything.

imparanoic likes this.