Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By imparanoic

Retro Pi / Pi Box - Has anyone built one?

Closed Thread

Retro Pi / Pi Box - Has anyone built one?

Curious to see if anyone here has built a retro pi / pibox type gaming device.

Have a new model B+, old xbox 360 wireless controllers ... and keen to play space invaders and other old arcade games / ROMs.

First step: Find a xbox 360 wireless gaming receiver. (I assume I'll be able to find one at 188 in Wanchai)

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Curious to see if anyone here has built a retro pi / pibox type gaming device.

Have a new model B+, old xbox 360 wireless controllers ... and keen to play space invaders and other old arcade games / ROMs.

First step: Find a xbox 360 wireless gaming receiver. (I assume I'll be able to find one at 188 in Wanchai)
    I use a modified wii, sd card, wii hori classic controller, plays mame/arcade ( 50% of roms work), snes, megadrive, Gameboy advance, nes, gamecube, master system, even some n64

the controller is tethered to wii remote, but wireless from wii

Hori's Gamecube-ish Wii Classic Controller, how good is it? - Wii Forum - Page 1

but hori wii controller is rare ( order from japan) and for controller perfectionist, very very good, the official Nintendo wii controller pro is common ( which I also have)

best thing about it, sd cards are cheap and main thing unlike the modified raspberry pi, easy to use and install software

The problem with modified raspberry pi, seems like you have to use an inferior clone pad with usb, which are usually cheap and nasty, getting a xbox 360 pad may be tricky or impossible when wired, let alone wireless.

How to Build an All-In-One Retro Game Console for $35, the Easy Way

I also notice the process of getting it to work is both messy and not easy, and that compatibility is flaky at best, ie, mame don't work very well, snes has sluggish frame rate, Gameboy advance don't work, ect,

Raspberry Pi • View topic - MAME nerves :/ Help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6lP4UAwpnc

wii mame, very close to arcade

I have used psp as emulators ( ps one, Gameboy advance, pc engine, snes, megadrive etc,) and android ( with wireless ps3 ) sony xperia z tablet emulators, problem with android, connection to TV is laggy ( around .5 second), not great for gaming on tv

I'm not keen on prolonging the Wii .... takes up a valuable power socket.

Ideal device would be something that combines XBMC with ROM playing.... I don't need most games. Pong and Space Invaders would be fine. Doom would be a BIG PLUS.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I'm not keen on prolonging the Wii .... takes up a valuable power socket.

Ideal device would be something that combines XBMC with ROM playing.... I don't need most games. Pong and Space Invaders would be fine. Doom would be a BIG PLUS.
    power socket still needs used on raspberry pi, unless you using a tv usb for power

sounds like you want original modified xbox emulator, but it's massive and very cumbersome (you can literally fit 8 wii and 2000 raspberry pi) in living room

also raspberry pi is a bit too weedy for most emulators, pong and space vaders fine if works ( probably perfect performance for 70's arcade), but anything later than early 90's is a bit flaky

good luck on getting it working, especially the wireless xbox joypad aspect

maybe this is for you

ouya (rooted) emulator, has wireless controller as standard (probably not the best but it standard) has usb for xbox 360 controller ( confirmed working), plays many emulators and has much better performance than raspberry pi, more importantly, a lot easier to install emulators and performance is decent

Raspberry Pi Vs Ouya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euaQcXnBF60

and finally, like the raspberry pi, uses on usb power ( thus, probably can run from your tv usb socket) and potentially save you a socket (assuming milliamps requirement is not too high)

Raspberry Pi Vs Ouya

shri likes this.