• 1 Post By muzzdang
  • 1 Post By imparanoic
  • 1 Post By imparanoic
  • 1 Post By imparanoic
  • 1 Post By timonoj

Minor Headphone Repairing

Closed Thread

Question Minor Headphone Repairing

I have two pairs of Skullcandy In-ears that need repairing - one only works through one channel (left) and the other one had its jack broken off. Is there anywhere in Hong Kong that you would recommend that provides the minor repair for a fair price?

I know that I could simply get new pairs, but I'm a student and is financially tight. I'm trying to save every penny if possible. If the repair is cheaper than getting a new pair, I would definitely go for the repair.

On the other hand, I would like to know if there are any replaceable headphone silicone tips for sale in Hong Kong? I seem to go through them quite fast XD

me2 : for me its not the money, just pure lazyness. I dont want to go buy a soldering iron for a simple repair job.

Try Wan Chai Computer Centre. There are some shops which might be able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by AspTotle:
    I have two pairs of Skullcandy In-ears that need repairing - one only works through one channel (left) and the other one had its jack broken off. Is there anywhere in Hong Kong that you would recommend that provides the minor repair for a fair price?

I know that I could simply get new pairs, but I'm a student and is financially tight. I'm trying to save every penny if possible. If the repair is cheaper than getting a new pair, I would definitely go for the repair.

On the other hand, I would like to know if there are any replaceable headphone silicone tips for sale in Hong Kong? I seem to go through them quite fast XD
    for repairs

https://www.facebook.com/Hercules.Workshop

for silicone tips, go to mingo headwear, thousands of headphone, also try some new headphones ,over 300 demonstration headphone to test, you probably very suprise that some budget ( but well known brands, ie, audio technica, akg, sennheiser ) headphones ( ie, HK$150-200) will out perform the lifestyle brand skull candy ( emphasis on style than performance)
    timonoj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    me2 : for me its not the money, just pure lazyness. I dont want to go buy a soldering iron for a simple repair job.
    I have a solder , flux and solder iron, if you want to borrow it
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I have a solder , flux and solder iron, if you want to borrow it
    Thank you for the offer but I'd rather pay someone
    $50-$100 and let them burn off the fingers

A small tangent :
    Looking for recommendations for very strong (perhaps indestructible) in ear headphones available in Hong Kong.

I've bought some very nice expensive ones that broke too quickly. These days, I'm now buying cheap (under $100) ones and they usually last 1-2 months before breaking, sometimes much less.

The reason they break is entirely my fault. I wear them to bed, fall asleep and then roll around with them damaging the internal wires.

I'd love to find some that are especially strong and will take huge amounts of tugging around.

Any suggestions?
    Been to Mingo and Kingsound and happy to go back but I'd like recommendations before buying yet another pair.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Thank you for the offer but I'd rather pay someone
    $50-$100 and let them burn off the fingers

A small tangent :
    Looking for recommendations for very strong (perhaps indestructible) in ear headphones available in Hong Kong.

I've bought some very nice expensive ones that broke too quickly. These days, I'm now buying cheap (under $100) ones and they usually last 1-2 months before breaking, sometimes much less.

The reason they break is entirely my fault. I wear them to bed, fall asleep and then roll around with them damaging the internal wires.

I'd love to find some that are especially strong and will take huge amounts of tugging around.

Any suggestions?
    Been to Mingo and Kingsound and happy to go back but I'd like recommendations before buying yet another pair.
    Any good earphones/canalphones for under $100 with an extra strong cable/wire/very durable?

I rarely encounter this issue, maybe I am careful about my earphones, but it's hard to find something which you desire as copper wires are NOT that malleable/flexible

I think you should consider wireless Bluetooth, not even a hassle, with nfc ( touch the phone with the headset nfc sensor, automatically connect), cheap and decent one is sony SBH-20 which cost HK$350 in shops ( even as low as HK$250 in smaller stores)

if you roll around in bed, chances, less likely of cable being tugged to the cable jack at the phone end, so less likely on wireless Bluetooth and your google nexus 5 has nfc
    Last edited by imparanoic; 27-08-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

If I understand correctly, you're paying 50-100$ only for the cheap ones, but might consider paying a higher mark for some indestructible ones?
    Phillips had some line of headphones that are rather tough, or at least that's what they advertise...Check the O'Neill series, maybe the "The Construct" one. They have more models, though. Definitely not cheap though!
    Philips O'Neill SHO7205WT/10 - THE CONSTRUCT headband headphones

By the way, I'm the guy imparanoic mentions on the previous thread, the guy did a rather nice job on the headphones.

HowardCoombs likes this.