Would he be able to make a living in HK?

Closed Thread

Unhappy Would he be able to make a living in HK?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but hoping that some of you could offer me some advice here.

I was actually born and raised in HK but have moved to the states since about 13 years ago. I met my bf here and he's an American born Chinese. He can speak/understand very little cantonese and definitely cannot read or write the language. He used to be a commercial carpenter but now does wedding photography for a living.

For someone like him, do you honestly think he'd be able to make a living or get a job in HK if we were to move back? He does not have a college degree (hence, probably won't be able to qualify for tutoring jobs).

I am in a very torn position and would really appreciate if you could give me some pointers.

Thank you very very much.

With limited canto , no degree, no qualifications and presumably no automatic right to hkid I suspect he would have a very hard time finding a position. If you married him so he got a dependant visa that would help but maybe not enough. I'm not sure there is a big enough market for non canto speaking photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    With limited canto , no degree, no qualifications and presumably no automatic right to hkid I suspect he would have a very hard time finding a position. If you married him so he got a dependant visa that would help but maybe not enough. I'm not sure there is a big enough market for non canto speaking photographers.
    Thank you for your response. That's exactly what I was afraid to hear...
    I really want to move back to HK, but it seems like i can never do that unless i was not with my bf anymore...but we have been together for a long time and get along really really well...it'd be a shame to leave him because of this.....but at the same time, i really want to move back. Sigh.

Marry him then, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Marry him then, problem solved.

I would marry him in a heartbeat, but I am afraid that he still wouldn't be able to make a living in Hong Kong, even if he had the right to work there.

Well, with a dependent visa, he could be self-employed. I know a few Western photographers here who seem to do fine.

Photographer is tough but a carpenter who can do some handywork around the house can work. There is regular demand for English speaking handymen in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Photographer is tough but a carpenter who can do some handywork around the house can work. There is regular demand for English speaking handymen in Hong Kong.
    Really? He built houses in the states, and the houses in the US are usually not made of concrete, unlike those in HK. I always thought his trade skills would not be usable in HK.

I'm not suggesting he builds houses, but rather this:
    Handyman in Hong Kong - Man With Drill

If you build a good reputation, you can make very good money from this trade.