Like Tree24Likes

Speaking Cantonese

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

And yes, please pm me name of Canto school. TIA!

I can tell you here. I went to the HKLLC in Wan Chai at first. I quite liked it but my friend who i met in class wanted to try a different one after a month. I didnt mind changing so we went to HKLS also in Wan Chai. They are pretty much the same style. Similar text books and audio recordings. Prices are similar too. I can recommend both of them. HKLS has been good since I finished as if i have a question i email them and they reply every time. So that has been handy. Since its a little pricey (around $2600 for a 2 week block) I would recommend only if you are serious about learning and are willing to put in the time and effort in to go for it.

Beardan, it is great what you have accomplished. I wish I were at your level. I am Chinese but born and lived my entire life until moving to Hong Kong just over five years ago. I was/am not as determined and disciplined as you so unfortunately I miss out on a lot of food choices that I would love to try at all the local restaurants.

For anyone wanting to learn basic, intermediate or 'advanced' Cantonese:
    If anyone is looking for a cheap alternative that is not so intensive but works very well for a person with a full time job and on a budget, I would recommend the ISS Wan Chai. It is $100 for a total of 50 hours. It is one 3-hour class per week for 17 weeks.

I just completed the intermediate course but they told us that they will not offer the advanced class until there are at least 25 people signed up. The last class that I went to finished with only 6 of us and we had an amazing time and really enjoyed each others' company. The week after our last class, we all missed seeing each other on the Saturday morning. It is in a classroom setting but we all had fun in the process.

If anyone is interested, I can find the information to post here but I can't find it at this moment.

Mrs. Jones and Tom007 like this.

Yes I too went to ISS. After about 18 months of study I went back to get into the basics again. However their course materials were terrible. After all, you are only paying $100 in total, so you sort of get what you paid for. But learning it properly it would be hard to recommend. For a cheap alternative, its not bad. The teacher I had was a very nice guy but had no knowledge of the 'Yale' system i use to learn. Its important for people who cant read Chinese like me to have someone teach them with a knowledge of this system. I am glad I found ISS, but probably good to do a proper course before hand or their materials, if its still the same, may only confuse you.

hongkong7 and imparanoic like this.

Very pleased to see not all people are brainwashed by the "Putonghua is the must learn future language bullocks". After all Canto and traditional Chinese have benn around much longer than Putonghua.

You speak very well, trying watching HK TV and you can pick up more.

PS, your little daughter is very pretty and adorable.

Beardan likes this.

impressive

Beardan likes this.

I think karaoke would help too. Its fun to sing along your favorite songs and learn at same time.

P.S. I personally find cantopop to sound better than mandarin songs.

Want to learn cantonese in Tung Chung

Where in tung chung I learn cantonese. Any affordable classes nearby?