Like Tree6Likes

HK mobile networks MTR / Tunnel / Administrative fee increases

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Words fail me! It's a simple concept. An advertised monthly charge is just that, or at least should be. The MTR add on is just a load of bollocks they could include but choose not to so their advertised monthly charges look cheaper than they actually REALLY are. Same with service add ons that they insist you must have. If they are so sure then advertise the actual monthly fee WITH these figures included. No one is stopping them making a break down on the contract now, are they?
    I like how you now try to change stance. Welcome to the world of marketing. If you're having a go because the price of your monthly bill is $12-18 more than listed, I wonder what you are like when you pay after having a meal in a restaurant that adds 10% service charge onto the price listed on the menu.

I'm not changing stance because if your eyesight worked as it should you were arguing with DeletedUser, not me. My stance is we should have a choice and those of us who don't want to pay for the "MTR" service don't get it. That again is a simple concept. If it's an inescapable part of your bill then just throw it in as an advertised monthly charge. That's also a simple concept. And 10% charges at restaurants! don't even go there. Another smoke and mirrors scam charge that I have bought up directly with a few restaurant owners. Every single one of them flails around when trying to explain face to face. I enjoy making a point of the pricing when ordering.

I'm not changing stance because if your eyesight worked as it should you were arguing with DeletedUser, not me. My stance is we should have a choice and those of us who don't want to pay for the "MTR" service don't get it. That again is a simple concept. If it's an inescapable part of your bill then just throw it in as an advertised monthly charge. That's also a simple concept. And 10% charges at restaurants! don't even go there. Another smoke and mirrors scam charge that I have bought up directly with a few restaurant owners. Every single one of them flails around when trying to explain face to face. I enjoy making a point of the pricing when ordering.
    I see you're that type of person, not having a go, just understanding your view point.

I made a post about a year ago in regards to how tipping and service charge worked out in the restaurants I previously owned. In no way was that in anyway a standard benchmark of how the industry works, but my explanation was very fair and in no way was it a scam. I can't comment on how other restaurants do business as I do not know the actual rundown of their books.

I run my own B2C business here in HK. That's where I'm coming from. I can't add another 10% service charge on, or have hidden charges. When I go to the supermarket there's no 10% service charge. I'm still being served.......

There are certain sectors here that do operate smoke and mirrors scam charges, imagine what it would be like if every consumer supplying business followed that philosophy.

Drunken Master likes this.

What about when they charge extra for the tea and/or peanuts? SCANDALOUS!

Drunken Master likes this.

Actually, the operators have no alternative to pay the MTR/Tunnels to provide coverage - unlike almost all other outdoor sites, where they could choose a building next door - there is competition. However, the MTR is impossible to cover from outside#, the MTR owns the antenna system which is technically complex and expensive to run (partially as a result of the MTRs own inefficient bureaucratic processes, 'cos they are a railway operator not a telco).

Originally the MTR negotiated a sizeable % fee based on the calls inside the MTR - remember it was $1.40/minute! Years pass, realizing the price per minute dropping and operators offering 1000's minutes for a fixed price (not to mention unlimited data for next to nothing) the MTR has wanted more $$$ and so must have negotiated a per subscriber top-up fee $18 with the operators (and probably OFCA/OFTA). The operating costs are more or less fixed to the MTR but their income is user/traffic dependent. Conversely normal outdoor sites typically cost a fixed monthly rent.

As for "I don't use it so why should I pay for it" - yes that is reasonable at first glance. Similarly, I don't use the sites north of, say, Boundary street - why should I pay for those? Perhaps those sites are actually more efficient and rent less, thus cost the operator less - so if my part of the network costs are not pooled with the more efficient, cheaper New Territories I might end up paying more.

Well it is the cost of doing business. They could say "OK then - we will block you in the MTR and that will cost you $50 extra to have MTR service blocking due to the extra inconvenience it causes to us and having to convince the MTR lawyers that you are prevented from using it in the MTR#" - then it might not seem like a great idea.

#You could probably still use it in the open air stations and sections of the Kwun Tong line and be happy that you are screwing over the MTR and avoiding the mobile operators $18 fee.

Last edited by zerocred; 30-09-2014 at 11:20 PM.

I agree, it's like in Florida - you get to the checkout with your $10 bill in one hand ready to pay for the $9.99 T-shirt in the other, only to be told it's $11.27 including state and local taxes...
    Last edited by zerocred; 30-09-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Why does this sound just like a tunnel administration fee to me?

https://www.cnet.com/personal-financ...for-a-payment/

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, that is certainly a good point.

Nonetheless, the inconsistency of the charge would certainly lead me to question its true intention. Certain contracts would waive it, as with corporate plans. If this is a true contribution toward underground maintenance, then surely all users should pitch in. Or I should be able to opt-out of MTR coverage. Of course we know its BS. This is just a cost, like many. The cost of running a business.

Next we'll be paying fuel surcharges for their maintenance trucks...
    TheBrit likes this.