Like Tree5Likes

Commute to Science Park

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yes a car is fab. Hubby is only in HK 2 days a week, hence the use of the bus. I usually have the car to use to get kids from place to place.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    why not drive, parking in ma on shan or taipo is not that expensive, you realise how much freedom opens up when you live in NT ( work at a slightly isolated place) and how easy to get to places with a car
    Agreed. A car will be a definite improvement in terms of ease of commute if you live and work in NT. Unless you happen to live close to a MTR station, then the NT stations tend to be further apart than in urban areas like Kowloon or HK Island. And it saves time compared to taking the bus. Gives one a degree of freedom one otherwise can't have if one is relying purely on public transport.

Of course, I will admit there are also downsides to having the car. With the taxation, gas ain't cheap in HK, and the annual car license renewal can be a nuisance, especially if you have an older car which requires annual checks at government approved garages to renew the license. And yes, there is also the risk of accidents and the hassle with dealing with it's aftermath.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Agreed. A car will be a definite improvement in terms of ease of commute if you live and work in NT. Unless you happen to live close to a MTR station, then the NT stations tend to be further apart than in urban areas like Kowloon or HK Island. And it saves time compared to taking the bus. Gives one a degree of freedom one otherwise can't have if one is relying purely on public transport.

Of course, I will admit there are also downsides to having the car. With the taxation, gas ain't cheap in HK, and the annual car license renewal can be a nuisance, especially if you have an older car which requires annual checks at government approved garages to renew the license. And yes, there is also the risk of accidents and the hassle with dealing with it's aftermath.
    you can get an economical car ( with not much compromise on performance and low displacement = cheapest road tax),
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you can get an economical car ( with not much compromise on performance and low displacement = cheapest road tax),
    Totally agree. A cheap car does not always have to mean a boring car. I always have a fondness for the "affordable" yet "fun to drive cars" that is easy on the gas consumption but still gives you driving pleasure. Three cars in that category comes to mind, the VW Golf, the Ford Focus and the Mazda3. These cars like their dull counterparts (i.e. corolla, sentra) have relatively small displacement engines, yet still have a reasonably good chassis that can give you some fun if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Totally agree. A cheap car does not always have to mean a boring car. I always have a fondness for the "affordable" yet "fun to drive cars" that is easy on the gas consumption but still gives you driving pleasure. Three cars in that category comes to mind, the VW Golf, the Ford Focus and the Mazda3. These cars like their dull counterparts (i.e. corolla, sentra) have relatively small displacement engines, yet still have a reasonably good chassis that can give you some fun if you want it.
    two cars which you mention i currently own ( golf 1.4 tsi 2013 122 bhp) and previous car (ford focus 2.0l ghia 2008)
    Cho-man likes this.

Agree.
    Own car in hk is not for the downtown location.

But it can give u lots of pleasure when u live in nt n countryside.

Moreover, owning car in hk is not expensive and the second hand market is reasonable especially for the european band

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks